Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1981 Subaru FWD won't start.

So I have an EA81 engine that won't start suddenly. It barely has 60k original miles. It has been used daily for the last 5 months with no problem but before that it sat for 5 years.

I have checked:

• Spark cables are sending their signal as verified by timing light.
  • Battery is good
  • Starter is cranking
  • No catching at all - no sputtering - nothing but cranking over

So I am thinking maybe the fuel filter is clogged?  Problem is that I do not know what it looks like in this vehicle. I took some photos.

Does one of these photos show the fuel filter? 

Any other suggestions as to what to try?

Thanks

Picture 1

Picture 2

Edited by spamanon

1 hour ago, spamanon said:

Perhaps this model does not have a fuel filter, since it looks nothing like the one posted by  lonstorm66?

Can anyone else suggest what to try next?  I'd like to get this thing running again.

Thanks!

I would think nearly ALL cars that old have a fuel filter of some kind. I know mine do. The '80s is just when the emissions stuff got going, and I can guarantee it HAD a fuel filter at one time if it doesn't now. It's not like modern cars that supposedly have "lifetime" filters. Did you look back by the gas tank? Look at IonStorm66's picture, and look for a filter like that around the gas tank.

I have a book on hand that says that "'80-'81 models (except Brat): The filter is in the left rear corner of the engine compartment."

If it's not there, it was removed, so you can follow the fuel line to see if a previous owner stuck it somewhere else.

Edited by subaru1988

8 hours ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

while cranking, feed-in some starting fluid, unlit propane or maybe brake cleaner into the intake, if it fires, you have a fueling problem. If not, likely electrical.

I would start with this approach. Spray a little starting fluid or carb cleaner in the top of the carb, or pour a little gas in there and see if it will start and run for a few seconds. If so then its a fuel problem. If it doesn't, check the ignition system next, which it sounds like you done partially with the timing light. However, if you have a weak spark issue it may trigger the timing light but not be strong enough for the vehicle to run. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

Compression , compression, compression

Kettering ignition - points can close up the gap as rubbing block wears down against the lobes on dizzy shaft

Or can also ash up , have the fingernail thick gap but not work as intended. A points file to dress up contacts if ashing is the case

On the fuel filter location - is the fuel pump up front near left bonnet hinge?

Edited by Step-a-toe

20 hours ago, spamanon said:

So I have an EA81 engine that won't start suddenly. It barely has 60k original miles. It has been used daily for the last 5 months with no problem but before that it sat for 5 years.

I have checked:

• Spark cables are sending their signal as verified by timing light.
  • Battery is good
  • Starter is cranking
  • No catching at all - no sputtering - nothing but cranking over

So I am thinking maybe the fuel filter is clogged?  Problem is that I do not know what it looks like in this vehicle. I took some photos.

Does one of these photos show the fuel filter? 

Any other suggestions as to what to try?

Thanks

Picture 1

Picture 2

The filter is underneath near the pump,but,you are barking up the wrong tree w/that anyway.

Super rare for a bad filter to prevent idling on a carbed car,but,test(blow thru) and replace it regardless.

Much more likely to be a plugged idle jet,emulsion tube,bad idle stop solenoid or non functional choke.

Can you see fuel in the carb sight glass? Does the accelerator pump squirt?

As stated,a flashing timing light does not = good spark.Test spark by making it jump a gap.

Pull the spark plugs to verify they are not fouled.If they have any fuel smell at all. dry them w/a torch or kitchen stove.

It should start even if the idle jet is blocked if you prime it w/a few squirts from the accl. pump and vary the throttle position while cranking

Much safer to reinstall the airfilter before cranking

Is this a DL , with the elder external voltage regulator ?

I know some of the early 80’s still carried the old style forward but as I know it typically the low end of the product line. 

If that’s the case I would investigate the alternator and voltage regulator which power the pump. 

By saying yours doesn’t have the fuel filter where shown in the picture , that may indicate this is a DL or STD (fleet type).

3 hours ago, moosens said:

Is this a DL , with the elder external voltage regulator ?

I know some of the early 80’s still carried the old style forward but as I know it typically the low end of the product line. 

If that’s the case I would investigate the alternator and voltage regulator which power the pump. 

By saying yours doesn’t have the fuel filter where shown in the picture , that may indicate this is a DL or STD (fleet type).

I think it is a DL, but I am not sure. It is front wheel drive and a hatchback.  The stamp on the engine indicates it is EA81.

2 hours ago, spamanon said:

Where is the carb site glass? 

Hitachi have a porthole shaped window on one side or end of the float chamber of the carby so if clean you can physically see the level the fuel is at at the time

Should see a dot etched in the centre marking desired level, running or not

Ok, I looked under the car and traced the fuel lines - still no fuel filter. I am guessing this car has none at this point.

I found the view port on the carb.  The car is on a slope away from the window but if I rock the vehicle my wife says she sees fluid sloshing in there.

Here is a video looking down the carb while the wife pumps the accelerator.  Nothing seems to happen. I.e., I see no fuel squirting anywhere.

Here is a video of the side view of the carb.  I see fuel leaking out.  A clue to why it won't start??

Thanks!

It does not need to spray fuel from pump circuit in order to start but this will be a problem to drive safely, normally

Leaking is a problem, but usually not starting issue. If you can get it started it may not leak or flood.

That porthole meant to be viewed level.

Looked under dizzy cap for points. At points?

Edited by Step-a-toe

13 minutes ago, Step-a-toe said:

It does not need to spray fuel from pump circuit in order to start but this will be a problem to drive safely, normally

Leaking is a problem, but usually not starting issue. If you can get it started it may not leak or flood.

That porthole meant to be viewed level.

Looked under dizzy cap for points. At points?

Points seem to be fine.  No gunk or debris.  Things look kinda shiny.

• Like 1

spray carb cleaner down the throat for 1-2 seconds.  hold pedal about 1/4.  crank.  If it tries to fire, [and once you are used to this trick, you can get it to run for a few seconds, if everything except fuel is ok] you have a fuel problem.

4 hours ago, spamanon said:

Points seem to be fine.  No gunk or debris.  Things look kinda shiny.

Holding this thought, ashing is just of contact points surface so you can see a gap, no debris just no electric conduct. At least no pitting of the points.

I learnt ashing in my 68 Ford, started for me to get to work, go for lunch by the lake, but not to start until old old school mechanic boss swiped some emery paper between them and she fired right up

Edited by Step-a-toe

Ok, so update time.

• I checked, and there is a DL on the back of the car, so it is a DL
  • I sprayed Valvoline carb and throttle cleaner in there and still not catching, at all - nothing but cranking.
  • I took out 2 of the plugs and they look like this.  Obviously there is some nasty stuff going on there.
  • I checked to see if the plugs were sparking by setting them on the block, connected to the spark cable and turning the engine over. I saw no clear spark.
  • I filmed the engine compartment and it looks like this.  If you spot a fuel filter, please let me know.

I forgot to add that after I did the spark plug test, when I picked up the plug that was tested and still connected to the cable it shocked me. Not sure if this is relevant.

Thanks

Edited by spamanon