Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1993 Subaru Legacy binding at sharp turns

Well got one problem fixed on check engine light.. so now back with something else I been meaning to deal with for a while now.... And hopefully u all can give me your thoughts on this issue.

1993 subaru legacy awd 2.2 engine... automatic..... when i drive it the car is fine,  but lets say i go into a parking lot and start to part into a parking space to where i have to cut wheel deep, either way i turn left or right, the rear wheels feel like they are locked down....  My thoughts is transmission control solenoid,  clutch pack,....   Maybe not even both but just Solenoid.    Any ideals of how i can determine for sure ?

Edited by MilesTolle

Torque bind. 

Change the fluid and ensure all 4 tires are the same diameter (size and tread wear/depth) immediately. 
If this is an initial onset, changing the fluid 2-3 times can alleviate it.

If it needs repair there are two causes: 
1. install FWD fuse - if this works then the duty solenoid is probably fine and the clutches need replaced.
2. if the FWD fuse doesn't put the car in FWD and it still binds then the Duty C solenoid is bad.  usually best to replace solenoid and clutches at the same time.

The transmission doesn't need to come out to repair - they're all accessible from under the vehicle by pulling the rear extension housing case off which isn't that hard.

If the FWD fuse works then a work around is to install a switch that toggles between the FWD fuse and no FWD fuse so that you can have either "FWD" or " 'locked' 4WD".  Then just keep it in FWD all the time unless you're offroad or in snow.  I've done it before and it's a beautiful fit in some situations that don't warrant the full on repair and makes the car 100% functional for $5 in parts and very little time of some simple wiring. 

Or you can just embrace the high maintenance an leave the FWD fuse in all the time and pull it when 4WD is needed.  But if you need it often that's going to be awfully annoying. 

• Like 3

HI,

Yes....they are...should be able to pull that part off and sand it down. There was/is a Great Post on here that I followed. I can't recall the 'poster' but likely Search will find it or maybe on YT.

I did that on mine to repair the TB and  delayed AWD. IIRC, you'll want to also replace the Duty-C ...it's easy to do with it all apart and they do fail.

On 10/6/2020 at 8:43 AM, 1 Lucky Texan said:

are '93s old enough to have the wet clutch pack 'basket' that is easily scored? maybe the plates are hanging-up?

• Like 1

I am sorry took me so long to get back,  I have the transfer case apart... And so i am thinking of just going ahead and getting a new Duty-C  and clutch packs...   What do u mean by a clutch pack basket?

I also thought if you put the fuse in and u know longer got binding it mean's that either the solenoid is bad or clutch packs....  Also i want to make sure since I have this off to change what is needed...  So do you all suggest changing solenoid?  clutch packs?   and maybe what ever the basket is?    On a video but it was for a newer car he also changed what he called two pistons, one he called a balance piston and I forgot what he called the other one,  but mine of course is a older car so not sure if it has both in it are not?

I would like to just make sure I change what could be the problem before i put it all together and it does not even help the car.

Most things I am going to have to purchase off a Subaru website..  My car is a 1993 Subaru Legacy 2.2 awd. automatic transmission sedan

it comes to a catagory that ask this question before you can move ahead to look for parts.  Please excuse me for being stupid but I am not sure which one to pick,  I think it is the 4.L Grade LS......   does anyone know for sure which one i should pick..lol

2. L GRADE : BASE

2. L GRADE : LS

2. L GRADE : TURBO

2. L LENGTH

2. L LIMITED SLIP DIFFERRENTIAL

4. L GRADE : L/RHD

4. L GRADE : LS

4. L GRADE : TURBO

4. L LENGTH

4. L LIMITED SLIP DIFFERRENTIAL

L and LS are trim levels.. LS is the higher end package, L is the base package.

My suggestion here would be the 4. L Grade: L/RHD for a base AWD model, however, there may be no actual difference between that and the LS (check part numbers elsewhere for both, perhaps?)

the FWD fuse powers the Duty C solenoid.. if the binding goes away, the solenoid is fine, the issue is clutch pack - if the binding does not go away, it is the solenoid that is bad and maybe clutch pack wear.

For a look at the basket, and the grooves that were mentioned.. take a look at the images in this thread.. there are some good pics down the page a little

https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/intermittent-awd-issues.506385/page-3

Edited by heartless
  • Like 1

I loaded image here...  is the one i marked in red the piston and the one in blue the bearings? and the whole piece it is called a basket?  I have done every type of job to a subaru that one can think but this, so this is new to me.. and based on that web site you gave me i need to make sure the o rings are ok, and there is no cracks in the splined shafts... or basket?

would i need to change that piston?  that is marked in red on the photo...  and if so is there just one to change?  and do you no what the name of it would be if i ordered it?

And a base is a sedan?  I am sorry i am so dumb i been sick and can still hardly think right...

I also cannot find any place other then subaru websites that sale this stuff...  If you no of a place and if they take paypal as a option of payment I sure would appreciate knowing where to go online to search for parts.... Thank you 

1.jpg

On 10/6/2020 at 11:43 AM, 1 Lucky Texan said:

are '93s old enough to have the wet clutch pack 'basket' that is easily scored? maybe the plates are hanging-up?

i never heard it called a basket before? is the the piece the clutch pack goes into?   and I am having a heck of a time finding the clutch pack i thought you could purchase it as a kit but so far i found nothing.

On 10/8/2020 at 4:15 PM, wtdash said:

HI,

Yes....they are...should be able to pull that part off and sand it down. There was/is a Great Post on here that I followed. I can't recall the 'poster' but likely Search will find it or maybe on YT.

I did that on mine to repair the TB and  delayed AWD. IIRC, you'll want to also replace the Duty-C ...it's easy to do with it all apart and they do fail.

what part do i sand down please?  thank you

the reason this is hard for me is cause i am just now getting over the virus that is going around. so i am still having a hard time concentrating on what to get...   I just need to know for sure which of the category posted i am suppose to chose  out of them all..  and where can i get the clutch pack as a set .. and where can i get the solenoid and anything else needed cause so far i have not been able to find it all..... thanks

exploded Parts diagram on Opposed Forces site... part #20 is the "basket" - called complete shaft in the parts list.. and yes, it would appear that the piece you marked in red in the picture is the backside of that part...

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b11/type_17/automatic_transmission/at_transfer_and_extension/illustration_3/

I have pointed out some of the grooves that need to be sanded out below.. on both the outer basket and the inner portion..( ALL grooves need to be removed.. not just the ones pointed at, btw) grooves will typically be worn in all the way around. If they are severe enough, it would warrant replacing the parts rather than attempting to "fix" them

The clutch plates need to move freely inside the basket.. when the baskets get these grooves worn in them, the plates get stuck and do not move properly.

transfer clutch basket wear.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

oh thank you so much that helped a lot heartless...  One more thing I reckon i found the transmission solenoid that will work with car finally but since i have it tore down I would like to change the clutch plates as a set also... but for the life of me when i look up 1993 Subaru Legacy 2.2 awd sedan automatic transmission....  I can only find them with four clutch plates as a set and mine has 5 plates in it.  Would you no where i could find the set with 5 pieces instead of 4?   so far in finding five it is from 2005 to 2011... I sure would appreciate it I have spent all day trying to find them .. thanks

I found this. 5 Drive Plates and 5 Driven Plates.

https://www.subarupartsdeal.com/parts-list/1993-subaru-legacy/automatic_transmission/automatic_transmission_transfer_extension.html?pnc=33123&diagram=01

The Drive Plates are NLA, but they do have the Driven Plates. Quantity used = 5. Read all the fine print in the part description.

Once you have the full part numbers you can do a google search for the Drive Plates.

With the cursor on the image, click the right mouse button and left click on Open Image in new tab. Easier to see on a full page.

.If your Drive Plates are not worn too bad, maybe you can reuse them with the new Driven Plates.

Here is a photo of the ones i want to change if i can find them is these the drive plates or driven plates?  and if i can get them do i have to order them separately or can I get them as a complete set?   thank you for helping me I cannot get the dealership to help me at all...  called wallace subaru and the guy was so hateful to me. and said they were obsolete... the ones i hope to get is marked they are sort of a bronze color

12.jpg

• Like 1

Those are the Drive plates (inner teeth), NLA.

All of the Plates as a whole assy. part # 31588AA060 and (might be) superseded by # 31523AA370

The images look like the original 10 piece unit is replaced by a 12 piece unit.

The site below shows 31523AA370 as a replacement, but other Subaru sites do not list it as a replacement. Some only list the first 3 numbers shown below, not the 31588AA060.

https://www.subarupartwholesale.com/p/Subaru__Legacy/Automatic-Transmission-Clutch-Plate/49241271/31523AA370.html?partner=googlebase_adwords&kwd=&origin=pla&partnerDevice=c&userLocation=9006866&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh5qnvtCy7AIVBYrICh0KgQfoEAQYAiABEgJ_sPD_BwE

Part Number: 31523AA370
Supersession(s): 31523AA010; 31523AA080; 31523AA240; 31588AA060

I do not know what to say about this. Maybe call another dealer and ask them about the numbers.

22 hours ago, carfreak85 said:

I've also been experiencing this "intermittent AWD" issue for several years on our '99 Forester.  I'll be following along...

Have you changed the fluid at all? Do all your tires match? It may not be impending doom if you have had it for some time