Ultimate Subaru Message Board

heater blower failure

hi, my 1986 dl wagon recently had the heater motor fail.  it was weird.  I arrived at my designation and turned off the car. the heater was still blowing.  it turns off once the car if off, I had the key out.  then I turned the knob to off and it still was blowing.   is there a relay I cam check?  the fuses are good.  what can I check?  what do I need to replace?

• 1 month later...

I have had this happen a number of times on my 1986 GL10.  There are about 5 silver 1" diameter x 1 1/2 long gismos that I believe are switches, under the dash board and just left of the steering wheel column.  They plug in and pull out.  If you take a look at each one by unplugging it, you may find one that overheated and is slightly dis-colored.  That's the one that is fried.  You can swap it out with another one that is working but obviously, you will want to get a good one so that everything is working.  They last a long time, so used ones are Okay to plug in.