Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuse box fix works

Just did the clean and pinch trick with the fuse holders for my 81 Brat and it worked great. 
Was going to swap in a new style fuse box but will save that for later.

everything electrical is now working and lights aren’t going off randomly -just in time for the annual safety inspection.

On 10/10/2020 at 1:29 AM, NuclearDeLorean said:

Curious! I randomly had my tach and gauges fail out in the morning. I took my fuse cover off, things looked good and put it back on. Gauges worked again, haven’t failed since. Was that maybe the same thing?

try pinching all your fuse terminals on the fuse box to make better contact, also clean them out with a small tooth brush looking wire brush, and reinstall your fuses, sounds like you got a bad connection issue.

also make sure your fuses don't spin around, where the metal endcaps unglue from the glass cylinder, if they do, replace the fuse.

And grounding. All above and check the grounding for sure. 

I think Subaru3 had a post about this. Was a recall issue , and could cause fire ! 

We’ve just about all had this issue if you’ve owned these cars for any lengthy period of time. 

The lower two fuses are the most obvious sign. 

Do a search of archives , ‘cause I’m getting old and too many other things to worry about.