Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 GL Engine (& Transmission?) Swap

Hello, First time poster so feel free to let me know if this has been answered in another post that I could not find.  Considering updating the engine in an '84 GL wagon w/ manual 4 speed transmission. From what I've read, most recommend an EJ22.

1) What is the easiest fuel injected engine that will bolt-on?  My goals are increased MPG, better top-end power for hwy driving. 

2) Is it possible to do a bolt-on swap of the entire engine and transmission from an EJ22 vehicle (maybe a '95-'01 Impreza)? My goals are a 5 or 6 speed manual transmission and AWD. 

3) Does anyone know the code/identifier for what I hear is a very rare 5 Speed manual AWD transmission that came on some early 80's models? (maybe xt's, brats and a wagons?)

Open to any kits folks have experience with, trying to keep costs below $4k (not including the GL)

many Thanks!

Edited by 1984 GL

Not quite bolt on.   

Adapters for the mechanical stuff. 

Remake a wiring harness for the engine EFI system.

The typical EJ 2.2 swap is from the early legacy models.  Some have done transmission also from them.  But you need to do mix and match axles / driveshafts etc.  There are threads for these kind of projects in this section.

Note - I am just going by the threads I've read about this, as I have thought about ej ing my loyales.

GeneralDisorder- Thanks much, thats what I need to know. I see you're in Portland (good to know). I'm in seattle halfway between SSI & SJRLift.com. 

I had some mig and tig experience long ago, I don't have any equipment now.  I can work through electrical w/ a diagram and a multimeter,  but i'm definitely a beginner and not setup for a swap that requires major fabrication.  I think I could handle motor mounts, maybe a few more brackets or mounts and thats about it.  If I understand you right, the EJ trans is out of the picture for me, but an EA2EJ swap can be done with the right equipment.   Scott @ SJRLift.com offers an adapter plate, flywheel and for a fee will thin down an EJ Harness for operation in an EA original vehicle. This EA2EJ manual from Numbchux also seems useful (though the kit makes a lot of it unnecessary). https://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/mroseusa/EA2EJ.pdf

Do you think EA2EJ swap kit and the manual would cover most of the parts and some of knowledge needed to make a swap close to "bolt on"?

thanks again.