Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello everyone, long time no post.

Mom and depression takes all my time, and basically I feel no one gives a damn so I hide.

Anyway

My trusty 2005 Outback has 208,000 miles on it. For the first time in my life I have the cash for a fairly new off lease outback.

Im looking 2017 +/- 2 years Limited or touring.

What Im going back and forth with is a 3.6 6cyl or 2.5 4cyl.

Keeping in mind my 2005 get excellent highway mileage but poor local mileage (17 mpg) as there is a stop sign on every corner.

Im leaning towards the 6.

I plan on keeping it untill the doors fall off or 200K which ever happens first.

Thanks

Wear a mask :)

nipper

• Like 1

Hey Nipper.

Been looking around myself. Retiring same age 05 OB and mileage 201K, doors nearly off.

Just stumbled onto a clean 18 Premium but then read that there are a number of issues with this MY. The new "infotainment" devices can be buggy and are costly to replace. 

I always suffer from buyer's remorse, so of course any negative statements will immediately lead me to conclude that should I buy this car, it will spontaneously combust with the first turn of the key off the lot.

Wear a mask.
Stay home.
Stay safe.
Stay away from me.

Regards,
Your namesake in my avatar :)

Edited by brus brother

Hey nip!  There’s latent stress everywhere. I work with people (like when we came and cleaned your property after hurricane Sandy). Even for folks with no notable stress - Every decision, travel, meeting, trip, planning takes more emotional energy to think about - where when how new account logins, etc. Everyone is carrying more. Do what you need to do!

They’re both good engines. You’d have to be picky, or have a compelling non daily driver need, to care in the end.  If that’s the case, or might be in the future, choose accordingly.

I drive a couple mountain switch backs and a dirt road to work, so for average commuting a 4 cylinder doesn’t do great either. It is better - like 23 instead of 19 so 20% better at most.  not enough for me to worry about. I like to have both - daily drive either, the 4 for traveling/highway, and the 6 for heavy towing. If I end up with one of those for a period of time (sell one, working on one, someone borrows one) it’s no big deal. 

Edited by idosubaru

got my 86yo MIL living with us - very stressful at times. Lost my job, not horrible as I am just a few months away from SS at 66, just another unplanned 'shock'.

not trying to compare battle-scars, but , it is like Ido said, stress everywhere.

tough times don't last - tough people do. It's my belief that Nipper is one tough SOB.

from what I have read, on an Outback, stay with 2016+ to avoid some CVT issues I think.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

1 hour ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

got my 86yo MIL living with us - very stressful at times. Lost my job, not horrible as I am just a few months away from SS at 66, just another unplanned 'shock'

Oh man that’s awesome you’re providing for her, that is no easy task usually. Well done.  sorry to hear about the job upheaval   What a mess.

If you need Subaru help from thousands of miles away (I realize that’s not actually helpful at all), hit me up any time.

• Thanks 1

somewhat of a scramble to get Medicare going to avoid lapse in med coverage. Still working thru a few issues with that but mostly trying to determine how to satisfy different agencies' requirements.....wife takes a very expensive drug (she has CIDP ,psoriasis, etc.) that was mostly comped by a manufacturer's program, but now she has to switch to a different program or - it's like $800/month!!!

my wife (wisely in retrospect) got her mom out of her snr apt about a week before the first shutdown and she's been here since. Our house is less handi-capable than where she was, but, we have been able to limit her exposure to potential infection quite a bit. Plus, several folks at her (and other similar facilities around here) have gotten Covid, and one died (that we know of - we get second and 3rd hand info from her acquaintances still there). She has cong. heart failure, COPD, is overweight,etc. If she got covid it would kill her.

Being unemployed now actually reduces everyone's risk at our house. But she misses her cat, she has different rules/schedules living here, space is a little tight-ish, plans my wife and I had are on hold ..... but there's going to be a 'far side' to all this - we're going to make it in some form or other.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan
  • Like 2

86 y/o MIL...that ain't nothin' ;-)

My mom is 102!

From the discussions here, looks like USMB is graying group!

OK back to the discussion before I forget what I was talking about and start repeating myself...

OK back to the discussion before I forget what I was talking about and start repeating myself... :)

In regards to later years, I just spoke to a reliable source.

Experience tells that even the latest MYs are showing software (at least) issues with the infotainment consoles. Issues started with the Harman Kardon introductions, 2018+.

The CVTs got extended warranties from SOA to 8 years/100K miles up to 2017. 

So if you consider the Lucky Texan's recommendation of 2016+ combined with my research, staying within and not beyond 2017 you end up with a narrow range, manufacture dates of September to early November :) and only Blu(?) colored cars heh heh.

Good luck Nipper. See you at the used car lots.

Now, in the spirit of our aging community, get off my lawn.

Edited by brus brother

Hang in there everybody.  I have a 2014 3.6 with a trans not the CVT.  Highly recommend it. 22-25 mpg overall.  Have about 70 K on it as it my work car and mostly for commute etc. Have had very few maintenance issues so far.  Oil, tires, brakes, trans fluid drain and fill and that is about it.  If you could find one of those, I don't think you would be sad.  Great punch even in the mountains.

GD will tell you what’s worth your coin and what’s not. 

Personally, anything with canbus is not worth buying - my opinion is you’re buying a ticking time bomb that may not be resolved with anything other than scrapping it and getting a new car ;( 

And hang in there guys. These are very different times and everyone’s mental health will be taking a dive more than a normal year. And we haven’t found our “covid normal” yet. Time will tell whether it’s like a zombie apocalypse that lingers around picking ppl off randomly or if it fades into another regular flu like the Spanish influenza 100 years ago. 

Kudos to those looking after their aging parents. 102yo ey @brus brother!! I don’t think I could handle that with my mum, she’s about to hit 70 next year. Good thing is a celebratory cruise ship venture is off the cards for us (we didn’t want to go anyway). 

Mask up, stay safe and keep calm ;) hand hygiene is paramount in these times too. I think I’ve met all the hand sanitiser I’ve ever used in my life before this year over the last six to nine months! Should’ve got shares in these companies last year... hindsight is a bitch. 

All the best with future employment opportunities for those out of work, hang in there because this shall pass. 

Cheers 

Bennie

From everything I read the 98 generation was the best. I loved my 97.

My 05 has no personality, hence never earned a name.

Im leaning more towards the H6 as over the years the Outback got heavier but the base engine never really changed. So im looking at 16,17,18. The resale prices of used H6 are alarming.

NIpper, we traded a 2001 OBW LTD for a new 2017 OB Touring which we love. As I'm sure you know the touring came equipped with virtually all the extra add-ons from the 2017 LTD model. The only option we didn't go for was the 6-cylinder and I don't regret it. We also have a 2013 Legacy Ltd 2.5 CVT that is very similar in performance although the CVT itself is a slightly different noticeable design.

I will tell you that the 2017 2.5 with CVT is a world away from those earlier models in the way the car responds and uses the engine power. We travel a lot visiting family in central Pennsylvania and the old 2.5 with the EAT trans would lug and struggle up mountainous hills, constantly downshifting to maintain speed and seemingly never want to go back up to a higher gear. Once it did upshift it would want to downshift again almost immediately. Any subaru owner with an older 2.5 with the 4EAT will know what I'm referring to.

It has a much larger interior than the pre-2010 models. It's size jump is like going from an Impreza to an OB in the early 2000 model versions - there's that much of a difference. My daughter's 2014 Impreza Sport is the same size interior as the pre-2010 Legacy/Outback body styles.

It's not a drag racer, but I've never gotten onto a situation where I felt we needed much more than it offers, honestly if it had another 20HP it would be ideal, but the occasional times I would think that are few and far between. Merging into 70+ MPH traffic on the PA Turnpike from a rest stop for example, but it passes well at higher speeds and has no trouble maintaining 80+ MPH climbing the afore mention mountain highways.

I can't rationalize a jump up to the 6 just for that HP for that much of a difference in MPG, although a previously owned car's initial cost could theoretically make up for that added fuel usage if the price is right.

BTW, if you've never experienced it EYEsite is amazing. That is worth the money hands down for daily and long distance driving.

• Like 1

Going from the 05 to an h6 mpg will be the same (only on the highway will I see a difference of about 3-5 mpg. My 05 gets only 17mpg around here (stop signs everywhere). If im really gentle i can get 20mpg.

I know its a bigger car.

Im thinking a tear drop camping trailer in the future hence why Im thinkng the 6. I dont want a drag racer but the extra 70HP would come in handy for camping.

Eyesite is one of the reasons for the upgrade. 

• Like 1

the issue at my house, we really don't need 3 cars, but I don't want to give-up either of the ones I have.

if I'm honest with myself, the WRX makes the least sense to keep, but it is the one I would miss the most.

I do think shopping 'soon' could better than 'later'. If a vaccine becoms widely available, some types of products/services could experience a 'run' resulting in shortages. Although, I have also read that there is a glut of used cars (repos???) and that may keep prices down???

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

the issue at my house, we really don't need 3 cars, but I don't want to give-up either of the ones I have.

if I'm honest with myself, the WRX makes the least sense to keep, but it is the one I would miss the most.

I do think shopping 'soon' could better than 'later'. If a vaccine becoms widely available, some types of products/services could experience a 'run' resulting in shortages. Although, I have also read that there is a glut of used cars (repos???) and that may keep prices down???

In June or July used prices were up 16% and people are paying stupid prices for some used items now. But it’s hard for me to believe some of that given the current climate overall. I got a great deal at auction on a 2017 forester in March when market crashed, and can’t match that price now.

If prices are up, this is good for those who can sell their own vehicles. You’ll get a decent price for it, and can make up more on the selling side than you’ll loose on the buying side. 

• Like 1

Nipper: you are back!  How nice to see your post.

Over the many years that I've been on this forum, I have come to recognize the names of those posters who had something useful and relevant to say. And you are definately one of those people! So welcome back!

COVID here in Western Canada hasn't been too severe, and by and large the population support our politicians and health care professionals.

But I chose this weird time of self-isolating at home to have a heart-attack and open-heart surgery. Still in recovery in the hospital.

We recently bought a new 2017 Forester 2.5 CVT, since my wife wasn't as enamoured with our old 2002 EJ2.5 5MT, which we also bought new (and which we still have).

2017 Forester: runs great, nice car. Lots of plastic, but these days plastic can be pretty strong. 'Eye-sight' works great, rear-camera, which I thought would be a gimmick, is indispensable. CANbus is a nuisance for me, as I like to delve into the 12V wiring system to make minor mods (eg windows won't open in ACC mode - very annoying). Radio and phone have to reboot each time the engine goes off - very annoying. Display has a rev-counter (unnecessary with the CVT) but no engine temp-gauge (what were the designers thinking?) And no cabin temp-gauge, only the temp-setting. Minor problems I suppose. And no dipstick for the CVT - yes really. But my wife loves the car, and it runs well.

But my heart is with the 2002 EJ2.5, where I know every sensor by sight. But I'm an 'old-school' type of guy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jonbfish said:

As somebody who is almost fed up with my '98, I appreciate this thread. Guess I feel ok about looking at 05-06ish for my upgrade, although all the info is good as it seems the days of the old reliable, simple subies may be a thing of the past.

05-09s kind of suck relative to other years. They’re struts, power steering are garbage compared to 00-04s. Any 05-09 I get I can assume those trash items will need replaced, and it’s not like they’re any better in some way that makes it a trade off. 00-04 (or baja) struts are commonly installed as upgrades (direct swap) over 05-09s struts.  and plan on $300 OEM steering pump or replacing aftermarket a few times to get a good new one. Wheel bearings are also more likely to fail.  Those aren’t big deals and easily remedied in a way but they have no advantage to 00-04s....except they are newer.

If it were for my family/friends I’d get a nice low mileage 00-04 southern/western rust free 03-04 Outback all day long over a lower grade 05-09.  Fly or have it shipped - do whatever you need. I shipped a Forester like 400 miles this summer for like $350. Dirt cheap and expands my range for a better deal in the end. 

Or spring for a 2017+.  In between is no mans land. Limited advantages for a little lower maintenance and reliability.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, nipper said:

Going from the 05 to an h6 mpg will be the same (only on the highway will I see a difference of about 3-5 mpg. My 05 gets only 17mpg around here (stop signs everywhere). If im really gentle i can get 20mpg.

I know its a bigger car.

Im thinking a tear drop camping trailer in the future hence why Im thinkng the 6. I dont want a drag racer but the extra 70HP would come in handy for camping.

Eyesite is one of the reasons for the upgrade. 

The 4 would be fine all along the flat coastal areas you live.  I’d definitely get the 6 if you’ll be going west or north and hitting mountains. 

Ive towed many loads in many Subaru’s.  Cooling is the first notable issue across numerous platforms and models. They’re just not meant to dump that much heat - this is usually only seen when towing around or over limits in dyer grades at 85+ degrees and high humidity.