Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New XT Turbo Coupe owner

Hi all

Just about to become an XT Turbo coupe owner for the second time after owning one in the early nineties.

Back then parts were scarce and I'm guessing it hasn't got much better 30 yrs on .

Wondering if there are any other XT owners on here?

Car should be arriving tomorrow hopefully so it will be over the pit and given a full assessment then.

side2.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, nigxl said:

Thank you

Should be arriving in the next few hours

Nice car.  Yeah there’s a few XT owners here.  I’ve owned a couple dozen of them since 1991 and have a couple right now. I usually am in the XT6 side of the XT world but there’s gobs of overlap and I’ve had both. Currently have the same car as yours but it’s in poor condition.

Yes parts are scarce. There’s usually a few that everyone needs and wants and can’t find.  Drivability wise it’s not hard to keep them reliable and running, so that’s the good news.  The more perfect you want it in other ways, the more resources it will require. 

Edited by idosubaru

Yeah those turbos are prone to all sorts of issues over time - all hoses seals and fittings are prone to age and heat degradation from the turbo.  More heat, more parts, some weak design considerations, the stats are highly against old gen turbos. 

Pull the manifold and look for oil/coolant in the exhaust manifold from a head crack. 

Headgasket is obviously another possibility. Common failure too.  

the intake gaskets can also leak into the cylinders - that's far less problematic in some ways...although that pic looks really b ad. 

1 hour ago, nigxl said:

Was wondering which engine would drop in with the minimum amount of fettling???

Depends what you mean and what are your goals (more original, more modern, cost, ease, minimal wiring, power). 
For most people, any engine they want is going to require wiring and fabrication so it's basically all the same. 

EJxx is the standard modern upgrade. 
In the US it's the 1990-1998 EJ22 is the preferred option.  Easiest wiring, more reliable, significantly more power, readily available parts. 

A non-turbo would be the closest in wiring. that would be as close as you can get to "plug and play" with minimal wiring work but you'll still be looking at diagrams to ascertain differences.  I've put a non-turbo EA82 into an EA82T XT Turbo and gotten it to run before with no wiring work at all. 

• Like 1

Thanks for that.

I was guessing that wiring and ecu may be an issue.

my main concern would have been exhaust connected to turbo, engine to auto box, engine mounts etc.

I will probably lift out, strip and assess as I could well be buying the same trouble.

At least a lift and strip will have a minimal cost as I still need to assess the rest of the car before spending too much money on the engine.

• 3 weeks later...

So the engine is out and I've found the culprit.

One of the freeze plugs had popped out in the head.

Just waiting for my water pump to arrive and I can do a pressure test on the cooling system to see if I need to delve deeper.

Dropped the sump off and apart from a load of milky oil laying in the bottom it looks like the crank is in good condition.

Also managed to free off the completely stuck distributor, given a clean up and back in.

Good weekend so far.

IMG_2042.JPG

IMG_2043.PNG

• Like 2

^ that’s a win in my book! 

Run it with quick oil change intervals to clean the milky crud out of the engine. 

Drop a bore scope into the cylinders to make sure they’re not full of milky oil. 

You may need to pull the heads to clean the cylinders out yet. I had to do the same on my EA81 that did the same thing as yours there. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

I've bought a full engine gasket set just in case.

I have taken out cleaned and checked the hydraulic lifters they are back in with clean oil.

I've taken out the oil pump to clean and renew the seals and so far all is looking good.

The majority of the milky oil has been removed I hope.

IMG_2053.JPG

Thanks John I'll check.

On the downside some parts have arrived, unfortunately the wrong parts.

The waterpump is too tall by around 5 or 6 mm and will mangle the aux belt if fitted.

The front brake pistons don't have receivers for the handbrake.

10 days waiting and crap arrives, great.

IMG_2059.JPG

IMG_2061.JPG

You’re not alone. there are two different style EA82 water pumps.  This has gotten many old gen subaru owners in the past.

The caliper pistons - did someone remove them or are they non-stock calipers? 

Any EA82 front calipers will work, model or turbo or nonturbo doesn’t matter. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, john in KY said:

Been 25 years since I had an 85 XT turbo. For some reason thinking the part of the pump where the fan bolts can be moved downward with a press.  The turbo engine  I believe required the shorter pump because of the thicker radiator.

I've decided to send it back as I've since found out that a genuine Subaru one only costs £20.

Stupid me for not checking, the aftermarket one was £30.

Can't help thinking they have made a mistake though at £20.

6 hours ago, idosubaru said:

You’re not alone. there are two different style EA82 water pumps.  This has gotten many old gen subaru owners in the past.

The caliper pistons - did someone remove them or are they non-stock calipers? 

Any EA82 front calipers will work, model or turbo or nonturbo doesn’t matter. 

They are aftermarket pistons, managed to clean up the original pistons so I'll reuse them.

if you can't get them locally someone could probably ship you the originals if you need them to retain the parking brake function.  that's a very strange repair that someone did - pull the pistons and replace them without using the spindles for the ebrake?  Unless they gutted the originals?  Either way it's odd.  You could also do the rear ebrake conversion and possibly use brake calipers that are more readily available over there?

That water pump difference is for the V belt and the flat ribbed belt. 

And the caliper piston is probably an early EJ unit. I’m not sure about the XT6 front calipers, as I’ve never seen a set, but if the handbrake is on the rear of the XT6, you might have that front caliper piston type. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, el_freddo said:

I’m not sure about the XT6 front calipers, as I’ve never seen a set, but if the handbrake is on the rear of the XT6, you might have that front caliper piston type. 

XT6 brakes are the same as EA82. Same calipers and front hand brake set up. 

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...