Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Had a rusted ball joint so had to get a junkyard knuckle. I tapped the new ball joint in with a hammer but the pinch bolt isn't quite getting to the threads. Is it possible I tapped it in too far, or is it not seated all the way? Just thought I would see if it should seat when I take it off the jack or if it needs to be finessed to the proper depth. After all the trouble the old one gave me I'm a little jumpy on the pinch bolt.

the groove in the ball joint housing needs to be far enough down to allow the pinch bolt to easily fit back in..

if the ball joint is not seated right, the pinch bolt wont go in right. and yes the pinch bolt NEEDS to be installed! It provides both clamping pressure and a physical barrier to the ball joint coming out.

23 hours ago, heartless said:

the groove in the ball joint housing needs to be far enough down to allow the pinch bolt to easily fit back in..

if the ball joint is not seated right, the pinch bolt wont go in right. and yes the pinch bolt NEEDS to be installed! It provides both clamping pressure and a physical barrier to the ball joint coming out.

So when you say down, that means it could be in too far and need to come back out?

Another thing is the junkyard knuckle seems to have more camber with the upper bolt in the same position, and the ABS sensor plug is slightly different and won't plug in. Do I need that connected in the short term to drive? The bolt broke on the old one so its going to take some work to get it out. With these slight differences is there a chance the knuckle I got is off enough the ball joint I have won't seat? I thought it was from a Legacy but not sure if it was a year earlier or if it was a Forester.

This job has been a nightmare.

You can repin the ABS connector, remove your old connector and then remove the junk yard one and slip the pins into your original connector.

The ball joint, just get a flashlight an look through the hole.  You should see a clear path for the bolt to go through.  I have never driven a ball joint in to far, I don't know it possible.

I don't know what you have, I always had Subaru ball joints.

Yes you could drive it without the ABS connected.  You would have normal brakes, without any ABS.

36 minutes ago, lmdew said:

You can repin the ABS connector, remove your old connector and then remove the junk yard one and slip the pins into your original connector.

The ball joint, just get a flashlight an look through the hole.  You should see a clear path for the bolt to go through.  I have never driven a ball joint in to far, I don't know it possible.

I don't know what you have, I always had Subaru ball joints.

Yes you could drive it without the ABS connected.  You would have normal brakes, without any ABS.

When I looked at the hole it seemed like it was lined up, but the bolt just doesn't quite go through, and with one tap of the hammer it felt stuck in there and was hard to pull back out. I thought I heard it seat a little more when I took it off the jack but the bolt still didn't go right in. I'm going to pull it forward a couple feet tonight and take the wheel back off and have a look.

Thanks about the connector! I'm sure it will be apparent when I look, but any resources for repining would be appreciated.

7 hours ago, jonbfish said:

When I looked at the hole it seemed like it was lined up, but the bolt just doesn't quite go through, and with one tap of the hammer it felt stuck in there and was hard to pull back out. I thought I heard it seat a little more when I took it off the jack but the bolt still didn't go right in. I'm going to pull it forward a couple feet tonight and take the wheel back off and have a look.

Thanks about the connector! I'm sure it will be apparent when I look, but any resources for repining would be appreciated.

It’s not fully seated. Remove the ball joint and hog out the top of the inside of the knuckle with a drill/stiff wire brush, small chisel/screwdriver so the ball joint can seat all the way to the top. Get any layered rust or debris out of there.

Are the knuckle ears spread apart egregiously or cracked due to spreading them too wide? This is rare but happens. 

Edited by idosubaru

On 10/12/2020 at 11:00 AM, lmdew said:

Little plastic tab holds the pin in.  You have to pry it up from the connector side and then pull the wire out the back.  Very small screwdriver or I use a wood staple flatten on one end.

OK, looking at this now. Is the tab in between the pins? I may have to post a picture to have you walk me through it.

If you have other Subaru connectors you can perfect your removal on that is best.  If you have a junkyard close by, you may be able to grab the connector from there.

The tab is hard to see, it sets flush with the inside of the connector.  Look close and you will see a little tab, that is what has to be raised about a 1/16" to pull the pin out the back.