Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all, 

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the crankshaft sprocket for a 00/01 EJ251 and a '97-98' EJ25D? I'm trying to diagnose some engine-performance issues and will be looking at my timing soon enough... I have a EJ 251 block mated with the heads from a EJ 25D. The crankshaft sprocket came from the 251, and the cams are for the 25D heads. I read on here that there may be differences between A/T and M/T sprockets of the same block, and I do not know which transmission this block was mated to. According to opposedforces.com, and an online subaru dealer parts page, the sprocket is the same between the 25D and SOHC blocks. Just wondering if anyone knows of a difference. Issues at hand include odd imbalance/vibrations between 1800 and 2500 rpm. Feels like there's a cylinder not firing. Smoke test, and leak-down test are in order, hopefully next weekend after finals. 

Take care,

Greg

^What GD said.  In my limited experience I seem to recall there are two different Crankshaft sprockets that each mate with a different Timing Gear.  There are a number of threads on I changed my engine and it won't start that usually is the result of a difference between crankshaft and camshaft gears.  If they are intermixed the engine won't start.

DSC02527.JPG

On 10/12/2020 at 8:26 AM, Mike104 said:

^What GD said.  In my limited experience I seem to recall there are two different Crankshaft sprockets that each mate with a different Timing Gear.  There are a number of threads on I changed my engine and it won't start that usually is the result of a difference between crankshaft and camshaft gears.  If they are intermixed the engine won't start.

DSC02527.JPG

Thank you