Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Knock sensor replacement 97 2.5

I used the SMP brand with good results (Standard Motor Products) on our 95 and 97 EJ22.

These knock sensors use a vibrating Piezo Electric element to generate a signal to the ECU as shown in this picture.

That is why mounting torque is important.

Knock sensor.jpg

• Like 1

Here is an image of the connector:  https://i.imgur.com/XigiKkW.jpg

What's the chance that it could have been damaged from the other end where it comes from when I pulled it out?

Edited by ThosL

9 hours ago, Rampage said:

It is possible that the wire (on the harness side) is broken from the terminal in the connector. I've seen it a few times.

That was what I feared from the beginning which makes it a real mechanic's job, but cel went out yesterday, so will keep monitoring it.

• Thanks 1

In your photo the wire is covered with plastic Wire Loom to protect the insulation on the wire from rubbing on anything. What happens is the Wire Loom and the insulation on the wire get hard from heat off the engine. When the wire is bent the insulation will crack in a circle around the wire. The insulation is hard and does not compress so the wire will stretch and get thinner and more prone to breaking. Wire Loom serves its purpose if it is not overheated. I have removed the intakes on a lot of 90s and half the loom under the intake is laying on the engine.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ThosL said:

New unit made all the difference!  Lots of power now, no problems.

COOL.. Let's hope it lasts a long time.

That shows the difference in quality. The bad one was probably sending signals from vibrations instead of cylinder knocks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThosL said:

The cheap knock sensors work often times but expect some rates of issues.

• Thanks 1

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ngQAAOSw5Xtc5ux0/s-l1600.jpg

The claim on the unit I put in yesterday was it was OE Subaru, not sure if that is accurate.

You don't have to pay $90 for an OE knock sensor like Auto Zone quoted.  Absolutely no reason to.

There were other OE units on ebay for under $20 delivered.  

If a mechanic were to charge $90 or more for one and then another $75 plus for installation, that would not be fair.

We are over 20 years into when these cars were produced, parts also are old, even if OE and new.  If I were selling them, I would be looking to get what I could for them before the market for them collapses.  

Edited by ThosL

9 hours ago, ThosL said:

We are over 20 years into when these cars were produced, parts also are old, even if OE and new.  If I were selling them, I would be looking to get what I could for them before the market for them collapses.  

Sometimes it works like that. Sometimes the price goes up for good reasons.

As demand decreases, the supply is also decreasing in some ways - in availability, in logistics (how many places have them, geographic clustering, and how many they have in hand, shipping times), OEM specific supply, etc.  If this functional supply is deceasing faster than demand then economics 101 supply and demand curves show us how price can go up.