Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need help selecting the right OB / engine

In 2004 and 2005, they added the EJ259 for California Emissions that was considerably different then the EJ251. I assume that's the PZEV version you're referring to.

Any other differences between a Federal and California emission car would be small (I know on the BD/BG cars, the California cars got a 3rd Cat...stuff like that). But the EJ259 has single port exhaust similar (but not the same) to the EZ30D. Electronic throttle, and more. I would avoid that one unless it's a deal.

1 minute ago, Numbchux said:

In 2004 and 2005, they added the EJ259 for California Emissions that was considerably different then the EJ251. I assume that's the PZEV version you're referring to. [...] similar (but not the same) to the EZ30D. Electronic throttle, and more. I would avoid that one unless it's a deal.

Yes, I think it is the one that cars101 is talking about when they mention PZEV in 2004.  Three cats and 5 O2 sensors for a 4-cyl!  Insane.  I will be avoiding it, probably a quick way to spot one would be the throttle body.  I've seen pics of the different airboxes between the EJ251 and EJ259 but I'm still a bit unclear which is which.  The throttle body would be a sure sign.

4 hours ago, Numbchux said:

In 2004 and 2005, they added the EJ259 for California Emissions that was considerably different then the EJ251. I assume that's the PZEV version you're referring to.

Any other differences between a Federal and California emission car would be small (I know on the BD/BG cars, the California cars got a 3rd Cat...stuff like that). But the EJ259 has single port exhaust similar (but not the same) to the EZ30D. Electronic throttle, and more. I would avoid that one unless it's a deal.

Ah yes, pzev gave you special benefits at one time in CA, but it was an extra cost option. And modern subaru could be registered in Cali. Now they all are PZEV

• 11 months later...

Unfortunately I did a job for a friend who needed a new engine in a 2004 OB, Cali emissions. It is an early PZEV, and was also sold in some of the New England states. The heads are different than a 251, the pistons are different, the exhaust ports are different (single port), so no way to swap a 251 where a 259 is installed, unless you take a 251 short block and swap pistons and re use the 259 heads. The valves are the same, for whatever that's worth.The exhaust is completely different as previously mentioned, 5 o2 sensors, etc and very rare (expensive). There were some 05 OB's that came with the 259 as well (Cali spec?). There isn't anything inherently wrong with the engine except its an odd ball and expensive.