Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Impact sockets

jonbfish

So I finally broke down and bought a battery Milwaukee impact gun. Seems the technology is finally there to justify it. I bought a couple sockets that I needed right away, but plan to buy a decent set. I was at Northern and saw a $27 cheapo, and like a $70 one and an Ingersoll Rand set for $120. I'm thinking the IR is the way to go even though the price is high? Or is there some other name brand I should look for? Any idea what makes the expensive ones better than a cheap set?

I have never had an issue with chrome sockets on a cordless impact. I have a 1/2 and 3/8, and just run my normal sockets. Granted I don't own super high end snap on sockets that I'd be worried damaging, but they hold up fine. There might be some flex that is costing me some torque, but it has never been an issue.

The big thing is only use 6 point sockets, same for with a breaker bar.

I do have some impact sockets, but they are just because I needed a single socket and that's what I could find. My 1/2 will knock off axle nuts and crank pulleys.

I would recommend spending money of a set of CV swivel impact sockets over a set of normal socket and a universal. They will help a ton with breaking loose bolts on tight spots. A socket on a universal with a impact is a tooth breaker, super dangerous.

3 hours ago, jonbfish said:

So I finally broke down and bought a battery Milwaukee impact gun. Seems the technology is finally there to justify it. I bought a couple sockets that I needed right away, but plan to buy a decent set. I was at Northern and saw a $27 cheapo, and like a $70 one and an Ingersoll Rand set for $120. I'm thinking the IR is the way to go even though the price is high? Or is there some other name brand I should look for? Any idea what makes the expensive ones better than a cheap set?

Better sockets grip better (tighter/more uniformly) and will be made with better materials.  Impact sockets are preferred if you're going to be using them on an impact.

If you want to use average sockets, they can work.  I'd get impact grade14mm, 17mm, and 19mm impact grade sockets, extensions, and adapters, and the rest can be whatever you already have.

My basic craftsman sockets have seen many serious rust battles in 15 years, sometimes with a 1,000 ft-lb impact.

I've broken tons of adapters, extensions, and five 14,17, and 19mm sockets.  Smaller sockets probably the bolt will shear/round off before the socket breaks.  When they break now I replace any adapter/extension or 14mm+ with impact grade stuff. 

The cheap non-impact craftsman sockets have held up fine otherwise. 

• Like 1