Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Intermittent starter motor issues

Raynman1989

So I've recently been having trouble with my starter motor. Sometimes (not often) it will start right up and other times it try for about 1 minute and it will eventually start. Now I am hearing a "clicking" like the solenoid is working but the starter doesn't turn. I took it apart and clean/adjusted the solenoid contacts but it made no difference. I pulled the gear out by hand and it seemed smooth also the plunger seems in good condition and moves easily. Will/can an auto electrician rebuild it? Id attempt to rebuild it myself but I plan on using the car soon and I can't get parts quickly. Should I just buy a new one? Id prefer not to since it's a genuine on. 

Cheers

Edited by Raynman1989

It's usually either: 

1. Battery/dirty terminals - clean them up and make sure the clamp to post connections are SHINEY and TIGHT.

2.  contacts - replace them, they're $10-$20 and the underside of the plunger can get pitted and black too. 

3. degraded wiring/connections - the common solution is to add a new relay/wiring.  

links to various threads here: 

A diagram: 

Those three things should be carefully addressed first.  Less common issues are the ignition switch, starter, or the battery itself is weak sauce. 

• Thanks 1

Well I narrowed it down to the starter being the issue, fitted a starter from a liberty and it works 100% besides the grinding if you don't let go of the key quick enough haha. Managed to get my hands on some contacts and a plunger so I'll replace those and see if it fixes the problem. 

Edited by Raynman1989

6 hours ago, Raynman1989 said:

Alright so I just fitted new contacts and a new plunger and also took the motor apart and gave all the contact points a good sand/clean and it's still got the same issue

I'd guess it has an aftermarket starter from years ago (maybe before you owned it?).

If it's a Subaru unit I'd get another used Subaru starter and swap the new contacts/plunger into it. 

Or take it apart and start tracing power through it to look for a problem area if you're interested in trying to repair it.  I've never gotten beyond contacts/brushes for electric motors and starters so I'm not sure what that means but I assume you can apply power as needed, and work your way from the terminals inward, one step at a time looking for continuity and power loss each step of the way.  Outer terminal to inside of the terminal - does it have continuity/power?  Then move on to the next shortest distance....etc.  And ask around for how to test windings.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2020 at 11:33 PM, idosubaru said:

I'd guess it has an aftermarket starter from years ago (maybe before you owned it?).

If it's a Subaru unit I'd get another used Subaru starter and swap the new contacts/plunger into it. 

Or take it apart and start tracing power through it to look for a problem area if you're interested in trying to repair it.  I've never gotten beyond contacts/brushes for electric motors and starters so I'm not sure what that means but I assume you can apply power as needed, and work your way from the terminals inward, one step at a time looking for continuity and power loss each step of the way.  Outer terminal to inside of the terminal - does it have continuity/power?  Then move on to the next shortest distance....etc.  And ask around for how to test windings.  

It's not the original unit but it is a "fuji heavy industries" unit. Weirdly enough I've got the starter to work 100% while out of the car but when I fit it to the car it still does the same thing, just clicks. The other starter motor i have that fits but isn't the right one for the car works fine though! I'm confused even more now. Could it be the ignition relay isn't supplying enough amps and the newer starter requires less therefore it works?

6 hours ago, Raynman1989 said:

It's not the original unit but it is a "fuji heavy industries" unit. Weirdly enough I've got the starter to work 100% while out of the car but when I fit it to the car it still does the same thing, just clicks. The other starter motor i have that fits but isn't the right one for the car works fine though! I'm confused even more now. Could it be the ignition relay isn't supplying enough amps and the newer starter requires less therefore it works?

I’m loosing track of what’s going on and can’t see the car.

I’d replace the solenoid contacts.

If you’re absolutely positive the contacts are fine then get another used Subaru starter.

If another starter works, then it seems to imply the contacts or starter are the issue.

That said we can’t see the car.   

Verify battery is GREAT.  Terminals clean, cable clamps clean and tight. 

Then you need to verify the wiring is good between the battery and starter circuit.

battery cables might be an issue, they can be quite corroded under the insulation and limit current to the starter. Feel of them and see if they get hot? Or wiggle them while someone is trying to start the car. Also, whack the starter with a piece of wood - sometimes that will 'encourage' better contact between the plunger's disk and worn contacts. If the starter never responds to that, the issue may be elsewhere.

Sorry if I didn't explain it very clearly, I'll break it down as best I can. 

Starter was working intermittently, most of the time it was just clicking. Tested it out if the car and it was the same. Took the whole starter motor apart, cleaned every contact surface and replaced the solenoid plunger and contacts with new ones. Still doesn't work when fitted to the car but now works fine when tested on the bench (gear is thrown out and motor spins). Test fitted a totally different starter motor from a newer vehicle and it works 100%.

Nah not your fault I was being to lazy to take notes form multiple replies. Lol. 

So when it’s “not working”, it always clicks but doesn’t spin?

If you think the battery, terminals and wiring are grand...which the other starter does imply....then

Replace the brushes and clean the starter motor internals (not the solenoid, the actual starter motor).

55 minutes ago, idosubaru said:

Nah not your fault I was being to lazy to take notes form multiple replies. Lol. 

So when it’s “not working”, it always clicks but doesn’t spin?

If you think the battery, terminals and wiring are grand...which the other starter does imply....then

Replace the brushes and clean the starter motor internals (not the solenoid, the actual starter motor).

Nah i definitely made it more complicated than need be haha. Yeah when it'd "not working" in the car it clicking ever time throwing the gear out but only spins maybe every 10 key turn.

I have taken the whole thing apart and cleaned everything including the brushes and armature and whatever else is in there but maybe the brushes do need replacing, they look fine although obviously worn.

• 4 months later...