Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A/C Compressor

I require assistance with sourcing a new or rebuilt A/C Compressor. I purchased an EA81T Motor from Japan and it has a A/C Compressor exactly the same as those shown in the Post by Subarule in July 1918, in "A Long Shot". I have been able to find a Compressor but it is R12 not R13A. Can any one suggest where I might be able to purchase the appropriate Compressor, or purchase a seal kit to rebuild the Compressor that I have. Does any one know if these Compressors were used by other Motor Vehicle Manufacturers. If these Compressors are unavailable is there an alternative. 

All EA81/82 are R12 compressors. The compressor will run R134a with the correct oil. You will have to change the seals in the hoses to match the oil. It won't be as cold as R12. Good luck working on the system though. Almost all the parts and hoses are NLA. 

Edited by Ionstorm66

4 hours ago, Non Culpa said:

I have been able to find a Compressor but it is R12 not R13A.

R134A

R12 compressors use Mineral Oil. Mineral Oil is not compatible with R134A.

R134A compressors use ND Oil 8 or 9 or PAG Oil.

When Subaru changed to R134A they used ND Oil-8 or 9 which is equivalent to PAG 46.

If the compressor has oil in it, drain it out and replace with the required ounces of PAG 46. Good idea to flush the lines and Condenser. I would replace the Receiver Dryer. New and Re-man condensers require that. Replace O-rings you have apart. Add the port adaptors, vacuum the system and add R134A.

I have changed a lot of old Jeeps, Fords and Chevys from R12 to R134A by removing the R12 from the system and adding several ounces of Ester 100. Change the HI and LOW ports with adaptors to fit the connectors for R134A. Pump to a vacuum and add R134A. I only changed O-rings if the connectors were apart. Never had a problem.

The Ester 100 changes the mineral oil so that R134A can carry any oil in the lines back into the compressor.

Some stores sell an A/C conversion kit that comes with Ester 100 and the port adaptors. Some of the adaptors require removal of the Schrader Valve in the original port, some don't.

My Freon gauge kit came with a chart for ambient temperature and low side and high side pressures. I use that when adding Freon.

23 hours ago, Ionstorm66 said:

All EA81/82 are R12 compressors. The compressor will run R134a with the correct oil. You will have to change the seals in the hoses to match the oil. It won't be as cold as R12. Good luck working on the system though. Almost all the parts and hoses are NLA. 

Thanks for the info. I appreciate your assistance. 

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if they have a real name or not. I call them the a/c hose connector for the compressor.

You said they were cut off on yours. The only way I know of to get them now is from a scrap yard or junk yard as the complete hose assembly for your cars compressor. They must fit the compressor on your car. There are a lot of different shapes and sizes for different compressor models.

The smaller diameter metal pipe is the High side (pressure) hose that goes to the condenser. The larger diameter pipe is the Low side.

If the metal pipe was cut on yours and you can find the connectors that fit your compressor and if there is enough pipe to work with, you can use a Flare fitting coupler to couple the metal pipes.