Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gonna be a broken mount, but which one??

EA82 and it's 5MT AWD in EA81 1989 Brumby

EA81 engine and gearbox cross members

EA81 gearbox mounts and modified brackets to suit 5MT

195.50.15 tyres

In 4th, no engine load, down run or flat road

Measured up to 80k/50mph

Flick RHD steering wheel to the right ( also centre of the sealed road) I see gear stick knob shift sideways outwards about an inch.

Flick steering to left outside edge of road and hardly a reaction seen at the knob

Is it gonna be a rear engine mount known as a gearbox mount, or an engine mount?

Which one, which side anybody care to guess?

A month ago I had to realign the exhaust to gearbox side bracket when replacing missing bolt. Bolt got Loctite this time.

After this task my downpipes heat shield razzle in decel and have just noticed exhaust crossover turbo uppipe is suspiciously close to cross member gouge

• 3 weeks later...

vote? Who said vote ??

I got up on front stands and pulled left gearbox mount out due to it being the easiest. All good. Filled its voids with a Sikaflex product and put back in.

Closer inspection reveals the left engine mount appears to have let go below the plate off block.

Think this will be stands on rails under engine b & t, drop cross member to lowest nut position and a few swear words

You shouldn’t need to drop the crossmember. Just undo the engine mount from the crossmember and jack up/lift the engine to give clearance to remove the mount. 

Undoing the gearbox mount on the same side could help reduce strain on tho mount as you lift one side of the engine. 

Cheers 

Bennie