Ultimate Subaru Message Board

why (some) Subaru engines fail

I got bored half way through. He didn’t go all out early on to say why it failed until he got to the sump side of things, even then... 

EJ251 - good engine in my book. Too many people neglect to properly service them and then they fail. Next step is to blame the equipment before taking responsibility for your own actions (or inactions). 

My 2c anyway. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 2

Most of the ones I see that have failed have to do with lack of timing belt maintenance or timing belt and lack of idler replacement when the timing service is done.  The balance has been lack of oil in the engine through sheer neglect.  If your car is older, check the oil at every gas fill I tell my kids.

basically a lack of maintenance, period.

keeping up with oil, oil changes is maintenance

keeping up with timing, and related components is maintenance.

keeping the cooling system in good working order & proper levels of coolant is maintenance.

people today have no concept of maintenance - they get in and drive, period.. no idea of how to check oil, coolant levels, air pressure in tires, etc.. surprised a lot of them even know how to put gas in.. :rolleyes:

• Like 1