Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 1990 Subaru Loyale. Here recently I've been having issues when starting the vehicle. When I turn the key it gives a click, and then all power/electric is gone. I have to pop the hood and remove/replace the negative battery connector from the battery and try again. When this first occurred it was intermittent, but now seems to happen every single time I try to start the vehicle and it has become extremely frustrating, especially when I'm back and forth 5-10 times between under the hood and trying to start it again. 

I've just recently replaced the battery and alternator, but neither helped or fixed the problem. Any ideas would be appreciated.

The contacts in the key switch are probably dirty. You can pull switch and clean them. It is very common to add a relay inline to take the current. Just cut the starter solenoid wire a few inches from the starter. Use it to trigger the relay coil, and ground the other end of the coil. Connect the starter end of the solenoid wire to one contact of the relay, and the other contact to a wire going to the battery connection on the starter. 

This way the key switch only passes enough current to trigger the relay.