Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 no start. Help please!

Ok, So I just finished doing head gaskets, and replacing practically my entire cooling system on my 89 subaru loyale.

It's a 4wd 5 speed manual SPFI EA82.

upon trying to start it again it will crank and occasionally putter to life if I press the gas pedal to the floor, but it never truly fires up. When it tries there is occasionally a large kick and it dies immediately after. My thoughts are that I have my distributor and camshafts operating exactly opposite from one another but I'm not sure.

Has anyone experienced this before or have any tips as to what it might be?

1 hour ago, DV-523 said:

Ok, So I just finished doing head gaskets, and replacing practically my entire cooling system on my 89 subaru loyale.

It's a 4wd 5 speed manual SPFI EA82.

upon trying to start it again it will crank and occasionally putter to life if I press the gas pedal to the floor, but it never truly fires up. When it tries there is occasionally a large kick and it dies immediately after. My thoughts are that I have my distributor and camshafts operating exactly opposite from one another but I'm not sure.

Has anyone experienced this before or have any tips as to what it might be?

Check that the timing belts are lined up. There are TWO sets of timing marks on the fly wheel. You have the have the distributor side off, because it will fire up without the other side.

I'm afraid I haven't got a compression gauge, but I have tested by removing the spark plugs and turning it over without them, and then adding them back in and turning it over again. The latter is a lot stiffer, but that's not much use.

The installation process I followed was the video miles fox posted to youtube with the rotation halfway through.

I did remove and replace the spark plugs wiring, I installed them in a 1324 pattern going around the distributor counter clockwise, though I'll double check that again when I get off work. After that I'll be double checking the cam positions.

As far as repairs go, I've done head, exhaust, intake, and valve cover gaskets. Those o rings in the cam towers, flushed the engine, new thermostat, new radiator, new radiator hoses, new spark plugs, and of course an oil and filter change.

It was running before I began work, just vomiting oil and coolant, and overheating pretty bad.

You probably have the distributor 180 degrees off. Remember it turns 1/2 crankshaft speed. The cams need to be 180 out from each other, but you can easily get the distributor 180 degrees wrong and still have the cams in a run-able position. The cams will be fine if you turn both of them 180 degrees but the distributor will then be 180 out. 

GD

We'll, For everyone wondering what was wrong, I've solved the mystery. The plug wires were pulled too far back on the distributor side and not making contact.

I need a new distributor cap now... I melted one of the terminals a bit from electricity arcing every once in a while I guess, but it runs now! Thank you for all your help!

26 minutes ago, DV-523 said:

We'll, For everyone wondering what was wrong, I've solved the mystery. The plug wires were pulled too far back on the distributor side and not making contact.

I need a new distributor cap now... I melted one of the terminals a bit from electricity arcing every once in a while I guess, but it runs now! Thank you for all your help!

That will do it. I always pull the boot back, insert the the wire into the cap, then slide the boot down.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DV-523 said:

I have one of those, arc cut slot down the centre turret from a loose coil lead. Was new too. Only gave a slight hint it was loose, under big load, tiny hiccough , nothing else.

Glad it was a simple fix for you