Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Source for replacement wiring harness connectors?

It's a '96 Legacy Outback.  The connector that connects the window and door lock wiring from the body to the doors is badly damaged by corrosion.  We're going to have to either put in a big wad of butt splices, or get replacement connectors.  Is there a source for replacement connectors?   One side of the connector is labelled D1 in the factory manual schematic, can't remember the other right now, but we'll need both. 

They are really damaged by corrosion: pins broke off when we pulled them apart, and there is no saving them.

D1 and B30.

I looked at the wiring diagram and our 95 will not work for you, it does not have all the wires your 96 does. Besides that, it is RHD and the speaker wires are different colors.

Try this site and find a scrap yard close to you. https://www.car-part.com/index.htm  

The 96, 97 and 98 Legacys appear to use the same connectors and wire colors according to the FSM.

Yes a yard or car part out by owner will be the only source.  If the connector is that bad, there is most likely corrosion in the wires as well.  Green crap in the wires will drive high resistance and produce a voltage drop in the circuit.

11 hours ago, nelstomlinson said:

It's a '96 Legacy Outback.  The connector that connects the window and door lock wiring from the body to the doors is badly damaged by corrosion.  We're going to have to either put in a big wad of butt splices, or get replacement connectors.  Is there a source for replacement connectors?   One side of the connector is labelled D1 in the factory manual schematic, can't remember the other right now, but we'll need both. 

They are really damaged by corrosion: pins broke off when we pulled them apart, and there is no saving them.

Pull it yourself yards and cut off what you need.

You can use any connector with the right number of wires. Doesn’t have to be a quarter century old original

if you call yards on car-part, it might help to call rust bucket areas where the doors probably aren’t worth much to begin with.  A yard may not want to cut up a rust free door or panel.

• Like 1

General Disorder, do you have a link?

If I were to put in a junkyard connector, I'd have two wads of butt joints, so I might as well just skip the whole connector thing and put in one wad of butt joints.  If I can get a new connector I can do it cleaner, and it would be worth getting a new connector if I can get one.  It definitely doesn't need to be a duplicate of the original.

1 hour ago, GeneralDisorder said:

Get a Deutsch connector kit and put in a new connector. It's not difficult. 

GD

Yep I use the offbrand ones on beaters, and real ones on nice things. Also some 8-10 AWG weatherpacks for high current are nice to have. Also lots of OEM connectors can be repined, but finding the pins can be hard. Google can find them most of the time.