Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Preemptive fuel pump replacement?

The fuel pump recently went bad on my dad's low mileaged 2000 Outback (luckily it was in the garage and just didn't start). That got me thinking about whether I should replace the fuel pumps on some of my older Subaru's with far more miles  (my my 2005 Impreza with 257K miles) than his. All were bought used so I'm guessing maybe still has the original fuel pump. Should I go ahead and do this so I don't up stuck out on the road someplace (even though there's not been a hint of fuel issues on any of my Subaru's)

It doesn't seem like a hard job especially if you buy the entire assembly (with sending unit, etc...) as one unit and just swap out for the original. I'm also wondering what recommendations are for replacement units (OEM?)

1. Aftermarket suck. 
2. OEM are $$$$$

If that’s an issue leave them alone. Used OEM > aftermarket. 

3. The 2000 fuel pump didn’t fail - the pump cap and/or oring failed. You could have replaced that cap and installed a Viton oring. I have both and would shipped you both for $20 or so. 

If a current Subaru has that same 2000 fuel pump cap - replace the cap and print with a viton oring. Or have one ready in the glove compartment if you’re handy and the cover plate screws aren’t all rusted. im not sure if 2005 Imprezas have that cap. 

The pumps can fail and quarter million miles is a lot. The OEM pumps are really good so they probably are original.  But...there are better places to pay attention.  

A:  at that mileage the alternator is more likely to fail and strand you and take out the battery than the pump.  Replace that with OEM before the pump.  If it’s an aftermarket alt then it’s even more likely to fail

B:  same with the starter. Except you don’t need to replace, install new contacts and plunger. If it’s aftermarket buy a used OEM and install new contacts and plunger. $20 or less and it’s really easy. 

those are far more likely to leave you stranded and cause additional issues than the pump  unless you have the aforementioned pump cap oring issue.

Once all of that is taken care of then think about the fuel pump. 

I think because starters, pumps, and alts use expensive metals like copper - that’s one reason aftermarket are so bad for these items. The aftermarkets probably lack quality control for type, quality and how much of those expensive windings and Copper is used. That’s just a guess, but no matter the cause I’ve seen top brands, new, rebuilt, reman, lifetime warranty all fail. 

Edited by idosubaru
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stevo F said:

Actually I thought of alternators too. I had it fail on two different Subaru’s in the same year (both were close to home luckily) I replaced both Denso remanufactured since Denso makes OEM parts so hoping they are good 

Yeah. Unfortunately they’re often replaced with aftermarket due to misdiagnosis. I’ve seen countless new alternators due to battery, terminal and cable connection issues. Tossing away a perfectly good OEM unit is unfortunate.  So - your failures may have been aftermarket to begin with if they were previously replaced already although it sounds like you’re implying they were original.  Alts see more temp and conditional extremes due to their exposure and location so it makes sense they’d fail first. 

12 hours ago, Stevo F said:

Yes I believe both alternators had been replaced with cheaper aftermarket units. Hopefully the Denso units will outlast them. 

That’s often how it goes. In my experience there’s a significant chance the OEM ones weren’t bad when replaced with aftermarkets.  

I’ve done it....swap an alternator.....oh wait it *was* the battery. Old alt is fine.  It’s just $0 because I have used OEM ones sitting around.

subaru has reman 95-99 alts for like $80.  Maybe they’re $100 now, haven’t bought one in a while but they used to be $70.  All other years and models are like $300+.  

On 10/24/2020 at 5:14 PM, Stevo F said:

Actually I thought of alternators too. I had it fail on two different Subaru’s in the same year (both were close to home luckily) I replaced both Denso remanufactured since Denso makes OEM parts so hoping they are good 

I went through a string of "rebuilt" altenators all bad. I finally gave up and bought a used one and problems were solved.

Now I'm thinking I should focus on Alternators since I've had more failures personally than fuel pumps.

Clearly Subaru OEM would be the best choice, but most expensive. If I could find a Subaru remanufactured alternator, that's the next best since they replace any parts that might fail. 

For the two Denso remanufactured I bought, I checked back and they only replace defective parts and test everything else, so not so great after all.

I checked my 2005 Impreza and 2008 Forester (both bought used in 2019) both still have Mitsubishi branded alternators, which I believe it means they are both OEM. The question for both of these is, even though they are OEM, how long before they might fail given both are over 10 years old and over 100K miles (I assume the Impreza has the alternator that came with the swapped engine or else it would have 257K miles on it).

he best price I found for new OEM for the Impreza is %520, and for the Forester $430. For the two cars I put the Denso units in, my 2003 Forester is the same $520 unit as the Impreza. For my 1998 Legacy I found what appears to be OEM for only $66?. All the other sites are out of stock.

The reason I'm thinking I need to have the most reliable alternator is because I mostly drive long trips of 45- 60 miles and if the alternator fails even halfway, I doubt I'd make it far enough to reach my destination. Luckily the two failures I had were both under 10 miles from home, but I seldom drive locally.

There is a Mennonite owned shop not too far from me that rebuilds alternators, generators and starters. I took our alt apart and took it to them for brushes and bearings. He charged me 18 bucks and he soldered in the brushes and assembled it. A few months before that I helped him over a hurdle with his really old shop pc. I think he only charged me for the parts.

If the alternators are charging properly that means the regulator is good and I would change the brushes and bearings. Preventive Maintenance.

• Thanks 1