Ultimate Subaru Message Board

interior light fade off delay?

ive tried looking into this once before and did not figure it out. what module controls the interior light and how it will fade off after a few seconds? mine does not fade out rather just shuts off and would like to change that so it fades off like everyone elses subaru does. this is in a 2001 subaru outback.

Edited by sirtokesalot

yes thats the one. the feature where when u get in or out of the car the light stays on then fades off after a few seconds or fades off when u start the car. in my car its always just shut off the light after a few seconds and does not fade out. i have another part car at my house right now that did have the feature in it. what would i need to swap over to make mine have it.

The control module looks like a relay under the dash, was to the right of the steering wheel. Google it you should be able to find the exact location. Be nice to it its not a cheap part, and usually after market car stereos make the magic smoke escape.

The Illumination Control Module is for the dash lights.

The Wiring Diagram shows the Room Light is controlled by the door switches except on vehicles equipped with Keyless Entry Control Module. That module controls the Room Light. So, I guess that would give it the dimming effect.

• Like 1

On the newer models with the delayed dim, it is run through the Body Integrated Module. The '00-'01s (and maybe '02s, I'll know when I start digging into my "new" VDC) do not have a BIM. Retrofitting the factory system would be a big job.

I think there are aftermarket circuits that can be wired in to offer that feature pretty simply.

• 2 weeks later...

ive come to the conclusion that the keyless module does not control the delay. i determined this by unplugging the keyless module in my friends car and when i did the lights faded off as soon as the keyless module was unplugged. some other module controls it. id like to use the factory option if possible vs buying somthing aftermarket to run it.

Edited by sirtokesalot

2 hours ago, sirtokesalot said:

ive come to the conclusion that the keyless module does not control the delay. i determined this by unplugging the keyless module in my friends car and when i did the lights faded off as soon as the keyless module was unplugged. some other module controls it. id like to use the factory option if possible vs buying somthing aftermarket to run it.

I'll say again. Your 2001 has no factory module that could enable this. You would have to retrofit a Body Integrated Module from a newer car (controls a LOT more than just the dome light, including power locks, probably would need the entire bulkhead harness).

According to cars101, that was a new feature on the 2002 model.

1 hour ago, Numbchux said:

I'll say again. Your 2001 has no factory module that could enable this. You would have to retrofit a Body Integrated Module from a newer car (controls a LOT more than just the dome light, including power locks, probably would need the entire bulkhead harness).

According to cars101, that was a new feature on the 2002 model.

Well there is the answer, no light dimming for you!