Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Better valve cover grommets?

I have been having issues with valve cover grommets. I replaced them when I did the valve cover gaskets last year. Was felpro set that included grommets. Those lasted about 3 months and started cracking. I replaced them with the ones out of my Apex engine gasket set. They lasted about 2 months. I then ordered the Beck Arnley grommets and after 6 months they are cracking. None of them have leaked, but if the are splitting they aren't far from leaking. I ordered some of the $4 a pop Subaru grommets and I'll see how they hold up.

2 hours ago, Ionstorm66 said:

I have been having issues with valve cover grommets. I replaced them when I did the valve cover gaskets last year. Was felpro set that included grommets. Those lasted about 3 months and started cracking. I replaced them with the ones out of my Apex engine gasket set. They lasted about 2 months. I then ordered the Beck Arnley grommets and after 6 months they are cracking. None of them have leaked, but if the are splitting they aren't far from leaking. I ordered some of the $4 a pop Subaru grommets and I'll see how they hold up.

Pretty common for gaskets and seals to be more durable from Subaru.  I'd install Subaru if possible and see what happens before getting too involved into causation. 

$4 each - good grief right!

• Like 1

Do you clean them with brake fluid or acid?  I have never had any grommets crack.  They will get hard and not seal at maybe 40,000 miles.  To make them seal better, I use high temperature gasket maker.  Same with the rubber cover seals to make them seal better.  It is especially important to keep them from dripping oil onto the exhaust pipe or the left side exhaust gas tube.  I use the grommets that I buy with full gasket sets on EBAY and they seem to work fine.

4 hours ago, Ionstorm66 said:

Those lasted about 3 months and started cracking. I replaced them with the ones out of my Apex engine gasket set. They lasted about 2 months. I then ordered the Beck Arnley grommets and after 6 months they are cracking.

Right on, Florida heat is brutal but a matter of months is too short even for that. 
Could they have been over tightened or anything applied to the surfaces that might degrade the material?  

20 minutes ago, idosubaru said:

Right on, Florida heat is brutal but a matter of months is too short even for that. 
Could they have been over tightened or anything applied to the surfaces that might degrade the material?  

Can't really over tighten them as they are a shouldered bolt that you bottom out into the head. They have gotten some soap and water cleaning the engine bay. The passenger side got degreaser when the axle blew a boot, but the drivers are just as bad.

22 hours ago, scoobydube said:

Do you clean them with brake fluid or acid?

Brake fluid or ACID?!  Nonononononono, don't EVER use brake fluid to clean anything, especially rubber parts.  Acid isn't a good solution either.

Brake CLEANER, carb CLEANER, or even diesel fuel can be used to clean parts, but you need to be aware that some chemicals don't interact well with rubber parts.

23 hours ago, Ionstorm66 said:

Can't really over tighten them as they are a shouldered bolt that you bottom out into the head. They have gotten some soap and water cleaning the engine bay. The passenger side got degreaser when the axle blew a boot, but the drivers are just as bad.

...and do not overtorque those shoulder bolts, they WILL snap.

10 hours ago, DaveT said:

A lot of the inferior quality things - regardless of aftermarket or OEM - is driven by those that shop only by price.  Too many think the cheapest is the best deal.

Agreed - he is stating 2 month, 3 month, and 6 month failures though.  If that were normal, wouldn't we hear more complaints on this forum?  While I favor OEM I've used aftermarket grommets and I dont' think i've ever had issues in that short of a time. 

Maybe the cracks aren't a sign of impending doom - like the 2005 legacy front bushings where cracks are said to be "normal" as long as they're not all the way through?

24 minutes ago, idosubaru said:

Agreed - he is stating 2 month, 3 month, and 6 month failures though.  If that were normal, wouldn't we hear more complaints on this forum?  While I favor OEM I've used aftermarket grommets and I dont' think i've ever had issues in that short of a time. 

Maybe the cracks aren't a sign of impending doom - like the 2005 legacy front bushings where cracks are said to be "normal" as long as they're not all the way through?

TBO they are so easy to change when the engine is clean, it isn't worth waiting untill they leak.