Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Silly ECU question

glife

So I jumped in and began the ej22 swap into my GL wagon but wondering if I already goofed. The donor car that I got was an 90 Legacy 2wd automatic, and I'm putting into my MT 4wd. I've got everything pulled, about to start going through the wiring harness and all of a sudden I'm questioning myself. Is the ECU from the Legacy going to work seeing as I'm putting it up to a MT instead of an AT?

Thanks for taking the time to read this silly question and thanks in advance for any advice!

6 minutes ago, glife said:

So I jumped in and began the ej22 swap into my GL wagon but wondering if I already goofed. The donor car that I got was an 90 Legacy 2wd automatic, and I'm putting into my MT 4wd. I've got everything pulled, about to start going through the wiring harness and all of a sudden I'm questioning myself. Is the ECU from the Legacy going to work seeing as I'm putting it up to a MT instead of an AT?

Thanks for taking the time to read this silly question and thanks in advance for any advice!

EJ ECU's aren't specific to the trans.  One ECU runs both AT and MT - there's a transmission identifier pin that tells the ECU which one it is. 

But you're just swapping the entire engine, wiring, and ECU into the GL right - so there's no engine/ECU issue. You mean just the transmission right?  90's EJ ECU's don't care what trans is in the vehicle. 

1990 is a first year legacy model and some of those early 90's had a few odd suspension and other notes, so i'm unsure if there's any oddities there.  But I doubt it, they are mostly very similar to other EJ's.

Okay, perfect! That's what I was thinking, but I just wanted to make sure before I got into it even further. I am swapping the whole wiring and engine and ECU, so I should be set.

Thanks a bunch for responding, and so dang quick at that!

Yep, the early EJ ECUs are not different. There will be a pin labeled AT/MT Identifier. Off the top of my head, I think the AT harnesses don't have a pin there, so you'll have to remove a pin that you're not using (several for the automatic that are good) and add it to that spot, and ground it.

This is not completely necessary, but it will help prevent codes, and change a few settings that improve driveability with a manual. But these are still simple enough to run pretty well if they thing they're still an auto.

Yeah, I saw that indicator, glad that that's all that will need to be done. I'll make sure to do that.

This is my first swap, so I'm just extra paranoid about everything. Thankfully y'all have written up some great guides that make it all less daunting.

• 1 year later...

I want to swap a 2.2 into my BRAT. I have an adapter plate, and a 2.2 motor. Is there one place I can get everything else I need?

Also, I have a good set of Peugeot 14”x6” wheels with center caps for sale.

Gregg,

leave message, no texts please, (307)461-2000.

Thanks