Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 Impreza EJ22 to JDM Ej203 swap possible?

Hey! This is my first post here so I'm sorry if it's poorly written / totally in the wrong place. I accidentally bought a 1999 Impreza OBS with a spun rod bearing in the engine a few months ago. It started showing a couple of weeks ago (major hesitation on acceleration) and I brought it in to the mechanic, only to confirm that that engine was about done without a rebuild. I bought the car with a cracked radiator from another college student so I'm pretty sure it was badly overheated and I don't think it's worth it to do a rebuild anyway :/. MY QUESTION: Has anyone successfully swapped a JDM EJ203 in the place of an EJ22 in the OBS? I can't find any decent EJ22's available online, and I know that the 203's are pretty cheap. Whenever I try to look it up, I really only find things about swapping out an EJ25 from the old legacy outbacks. Any help would be appreciated!

The question is whether your Impreza has a phase 1 EJ22E or phase 2 EJ222. I think it should be an EJ222. If so, you can use the EJ203, best practice is to swap the intake manifold/wiring from the old engine to the new, and the crank and LH cam sprocket (as the tone wheels can be different for the sensors).

If it's an EJ22e, you should be able to use any 2.2 back to 1990, again, swap the intake and wiring over.

Your 2.2 will have single port exhaust, so you'll need a dual port manifold.

The other major difference to watch for is EGR valve. I don't know the pattern to which engines did and did not have it, but if yours has it, it'll be plumbed into a port on the head. Ideally you get a donor engine with one, but if not, it can be blocked off (might be an issue if you have emissions/inspections), head drilled and tapped, or plumbed into the exhaust.

Thanks, guys! I know for a fact that I have an EJ222 so I guess I'm in luck. I was doing some research on the EJ series of engines and I can tell that a lot of people praise the EJ22 for its reliability, but when I go out looking for one to swap in it's like they don't exist online. I was thinking that the EJ203 would be my best bet because it seems to be a 'drop-in' despite swapping a few parts, but in reality, would this actually work? It would be my first swap and I want to nail down as many details as possible before start going out and buying things. 

5 hours ago, deadlyneurotoxins said:

Thanks, guys! I know for a fact that I have an EJ222 so I guess I'm in luck. I was doing some research on the EJ series of engines and I can tell that a lot of people praise the EJ22 for its reliability, but when I go out looking for one to swap in it's like they don't exist online

100 miles away:  $650, 130,000 miles:  1-800-547-3682
There's a couple 23 miles away for $750.  www.car-part.com

There are two EJ22's - yours wasn't very common -  it's only used in select base model 1999 legacy's/impreza's and 2000-2001 impreza's.  That's why it's hard to find..and they're getting old.  90-98 EJ22's are easier to find but subject to age as well. 

Facebook market place, wrecked cars, craigslist, etc are good sources for an engine too.  It's not hard to get a $500 wrecked car in some areas. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2020 at 5:22 AM, idosubaru said:

100 miles away:  $650, 130,000 miles:  1-800-547-3682
There's a couple 23 miles away for $750.  www.car-part.com

There are two EJ22's - yours wasn't very common -  it's only used in select base model 1999 legacy's/impreza's and 2000-2001 impreza's.  That's why it's hard to find..and they're getting old.  90-98 EJ22's are easier to find but subject to age as well. 

Facebook market place, wrecked cars, craigslist, etc are good sources for an engine too.  It's not hard to get a $500 wrecked car in some areas. 

Thanks, man. Unfortunately, I'm out of state for college right now in Montana. It's gonna be a while before I can really do anything anyway though so I'm gonna do some more research. I want to save this car though because the body is still straight and scrapping it or selling it for what it's worth would be a shame.

On 10/28/2020 at 12:27 PM, Numbchux said:

The question is whether your Impreza has a phase 1 EJ22E or phase 2 EJ222. I think it should be an EJ222. If so, you can use the EJ203, best practice is to swap the intake manifold/wiring from the old engine to the new, and the crank and LH cam sprocket (as the tone wheels can be different for the sensors).

If it's an EJ22e, you should be able to use any 2.2 back to 1990, again, swap the intake and wiring over.

Your 2.2 will have single port exhaust, so you'll need a dual port manifold.

The other major difference to watch for is EGR valve. I don't know the pattern to which engines did and did not have it, but if yours has it, it'll be plumbed into a port on the head. Ideally you get a donor engine with one, but if not, it can be blocked off (might be an issue if you have emissions/inspections), head drilled and tapped, or plumbed into the exhaust.

A lot of the engines I'm seeing online have the exhaust manifold attached already, but it looks like the exit is out the side rather than a straight-up y-pipe to the back. I haven't checked out the arrangement that I have, but is there a possibility that I could just use the JDM manifold?

The only manifold that goes out the side that I can think of is turbo.

Anything is possible with enough effort, usually easier to reuse what you have, though. EDIT: forgot you have a 2.2, so it's single port. You may have to get a 2.5 manifold from a Legacy, Forester, or 2.5RS.

Edited by Numbchux

14 hours ago, Numbchux said:

The only manifold that goes out the side that I can think of is turbo.

Anything is possible with enough effort, usually easier to reuse what you have, though.

I think he’s referring to the Y pipe where the exhaust joint is under the gearbox and facing the RHS of the vehicle. As opposed to the earlier and longer UEL Y pipe that ends facing backwards well down the side of the gearbox. 

Cheers 

Bennie

8 hours ago, el_freddo said:

I think he’s referring to the Y pipe where the exhaust joint is under the gearbox and facing the RHS of the vehicle. As opposed to the earlier and longer UEL Y pipe that ends facing backwards well down the side of the gearbox. 

Cheers 

Bennie

99 22E has the former. They stopped the latter style in 1994.

• Thanks 1