Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1987 GL Driveshaft Support Carrier Bearing Replacement

Hi everyone,

It's been a long time since I posted. I have been hearing a clunk that has been getting worse over time. The other day i got under the car and shook down the drive line to find the rubber around the support bearing has been mostly chewed up. I searched high and low for a proper part number or instructions for replacement for this specific vehicle, but with no luck. Does anyone have any direction on replacing this bearing on our cars? Does anyone have better searching capabilities than me for a quality part?

Here's a video I took when I noticed it:

This GL has a 4" lift and an EJ swap. I will be making a better bracket to drop the bearing mount when I pull the drive shaft.

I was affraid someone would post this. Of course its GD... It might just be better with a single piece, anyways with all the vibration issues, etc... What does it cost?

I'm supprised there isn't a compatible bearing. Does anyone know the diameter of the bearing journal of the drive shaft at the carrier bearing? If there's something available it wouldn't have to bolt up to the car. That can be adapted.

With your power level and being lifted wouldn't it be better to just replace all of it? Staked in u-joints and all that business - with a stronger single piece that can be serviced? 

Haven't done one since pre-covid. Back then a single piece custom unit was generally $550 to $750. About what Subaru used to charge for the complete driveshaft assembly (the only way they sold them).

GD

That seems about right from my own research. Thank you for the advice. I agree about the staked in u-joints and increased power handling. With our remote location (Durango, CO), it's hard to find a decent driveline shop. I'll explore the options of a custom single piece shaft as well as replacing the carrier bearing and post back.

Edited by kanurys

While tinkering with Impreza tailshaft I found 2009? Mitsubishi RWD not 4WD Triton ute in Australia uses a cheap centre bearing in a carrier that should work with EJ size bearings, just you'd need to make carrier brackets fit, but after that - readily available swap in bits if you had Impreza tailshaft

10 hours ago, Step-a-toe said:

While tinkering with Impreza tailshaft I found 2009? Mitsubishi RWD not 4WD Triton ute in Australia uses a cheap centre bearing in a carrier that should work with EJ size bearings, just you'd need to make carrier brackets fit, but after that - readily available swap in bits if you had Impreza tailshaft

Thanks for the information. I'm not sure EJ shafts are compatible with EA shafts. Anyone know about this?

• 1 year later...

Just following up on how this had held up. I casted the center bearing with the stuff GD linked to (Smooth-On Vytaflex 60 Urethane). It worked great! I've 4wheeled it and have driven it for a while and I'm very happy. If I were to make any other type of Urethane bushings I would use a more hard durometer like 80 or more, but for this center bearing it is perfect.

Also, I made proper spacers for the mount to the body.

Edited by kanurys
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/20/2022 at 3:18 AM, Steptoe's photos said:

The brackets - are these due to a lift you have ?   Now, I am curious as to how you applied the urethane in order to preserve the joint.

Thanks for coming back with a follow up and pics :)

First post says 4 inch lift and EJ swap.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looked at my three shaft assemblies - that have that carrier bushing.   

1. one front unit is "shorter" with good bushing and bad front U joint  (guessing five speed?) 

2. next front unit is "longer" with good bushing and good front U joint (Auto?)

3. Third Unit is complete assembly, long front shaft, has good U joints (has Subaru Sticker, may be replacement assembly) I did buy it from a Yard, perhaps a Decade ago, as a complete driveshaft assembly 

Had these loose, for so long, forgot which is Auto and which is Five Speed   

Edited by newmexguy

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2022 at 1:18 AM, Steptoe's photos said:

The brackets - are these due to a lift you have ?   Now, I am curious as to how you applied the urethane in order to preserve the joint.

Thanks for coming back with a follow up and pics :)

I pulled the shaft, put the whole assembly vertically in my bench vise, taped off any cracks and openings in the torn rubber and poured poly urethane in that vertical position. I had one leak so things got a little messy, but it was slow enough that it cured before too much leaked out.

• Thanks 1