Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello, car was running fine yesterday but today got a crank with no start. Went through the typical. Spark, fuel And fuses And it has all. The intake isn’t sucking a lot of air. It does have some suction but not a crap ton. Any ideas on how to get it running again? 

Motor is a 93 2.2T with about 98k

body (ecu and management) 2001 legacy

brand new belt 

ecu pops out 

P1591

P0512

not sure where the vacuum leak would be or how to start with that.

brand new starter, filter and neutral safety switch. If the switch wasn’t working it wouldn’t crank. And starter same thing. 

it ran and drove fine yesterday but today all it does is crank and nothing else

Edited by 87r34

2 hours ago, 87r34 said:

Motor is a 93 2.2T with about 98k

body (ecu and management) 2001 legacy

brand new belt 

ecu pops out 

P1591

P0512

not sure where the vacuum leak would be or how to start with that.

brand new starter, filter and neutral safety switch. If the switch wasn’t working it wouldn’t crank. And starter same thing. 

it ran and drove fine yesterday but today all it does is crank and nothing else

Did you have codes before the starting issue? 

I would be heavily suspicious that the codes and non-starting are related.  I wouldn't to quickly from there. 

Vacuum leak - very very very common.  Start at the air filter and work your way to the throttle body looking for any loose hoses or clamps. Twist each connection/make sure each fastener (bolt, clamp) is tight.  Make sure hoses aren't cracked - partiuclarly the smaller ones underneath, etc.  Make sure all are fully seated and tight.  Additionally you can spray starter fluid around the intake hose (or probably brake cleaner/carb cleaner...if that's safe) while trying to start the car.  Or put some gas into the intake then start.  If it starts then you can guess you have leak. 

2 hours ago, 87r34 said:

brand new belt 

Are you sure it has a brand new timing belt or do you mean the drive belt?  

Timing belt would impact starting, not the drive belt. 

If the timing belt *is* new - why is it new?   Did it break, were you chasing other issues, this might help us diagnose?

What recent work has been done to the vehicle? 

Edited by idosubaru
  • Like 1

The codes where after,  and the only reason why so much got replaced is because I didn’t want to deal with the what if’s and just be able to enjoy the car. It’s been down for months doing the motor and trans swap. (Cleaning and replacing all old with new no matter the condition) but anything that was still in good condition kept as a spare when this goes bad. Most of the codes are VSS (auto to manual swap) haven’t had an issue with that causing a no start. The codes are as follows. P0500. P1540.  P1590. P1591. P1518. P0512. And  P0136. 
im not worried about the transmission codes for the speed sensors. It’s getting the car to run and move again and it’ll be fixed later on since I’ve never had an issue with the VSS being a no start issue. 
The 0512 is what concerns me. It doesn’t have a push button start and it does crank over which leads me to thing a possible ecu problem? As well as the 1590 which I’m unsure about. NSS is brand new and the plug/wires aren’t cut chaffed or otherwise, visually intact.  And lastly 1518 the code for the starter. Also brand new starter. I know as well as the 1590 code it’s a low current? But how? Battery is brand new as well... kinda leads me to believe the ecu could be old and cooked a bit not giving out the right signals to run. The ecu hasn’t been replaced. But can be in an hour or so.

is there any smell of gas at the tailpipe when cranking? if not, you have a fuel problem since it didn't fire.

if you do, perhaps the cylinders are flooded. pull plugs to see if they are wet/crank with the pedal held to the floor to signal ECU to stop fueling. It's the 'clear flood' procedure.

I suppose it's possible to have multiple issues, so, maybe check for spark.

It has spark to all 4 plugs and does have the smell of gas when trying to crank. I did try a similar thing, I pulled the pump fuse and cranked it with the pedal down and did that for a while till it would just crank and put it back in primed it once and went to trying to start it. It did fire a couple times but not enough to run