Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Aisin timing belt kit for 2012 Outback

Yes sir.  I do not know what I was looking at when I came to the wrong conclusion on Friday.  I have the TKF 006 kit on order.  The info and picture on the Rock Auto site indicate that it includes good parts.  I am anxious to see what it actually includes...

Thanks for responding to my dumb question.

Mike V

2012 Outback, NA, 2.5 l, SOHC

1992 Legacy, EJ22

1997 Legacy Brighton (on death bed)

like the Aisin timing kits the best.  They are worth the extra money as they include quality components.  Especially a good water pump and idlers etc.

Gates which used to be my go to, is off the list.  They are a price leader, but had to replace 2 water pumps after months not years in the car.  That was the end for me.

• Like 3

Got the Aisin kit.  Looks good.  I'll post more detail later but I have a technical question:

I do not see a timing mark on the block for the right side (passenger side) cam.  The left side has the notch in the plastic inner timing belt cover but there is no plastic inner cover on the right side and I do not see an actual notch on the engine.  The notch in the cam sprocket looks like it aligns with a joint between the cylinder head and whatever casting is bolted to it.  Is that seam what you use as the timing mark?

Thanks guys.  That first video looks like my engine and it confirms that the seam I mentioned above is what is used as the timing mark,. I will install the new belt and pulleys today but I will have to wait to receive a new belt cover since I broke the original one...  Ordered one off Ebay.  60 bucks.

The Aisin kit came with a Mitsuboshi belt, Koyo and NSK idlers and NTN tensioner.  ALL parts say Made in Japan including the water pump although I did not see a brand name on it.

• Like 1

Thanks Mike.  I hope it is like that because I did helicoil it but, as usual when trying to install a helicoil into an engine "in situ" it was not a smooth operation and although I think I am ok (the tensioner bolt did tighten up)  , next time I am in there I will replace that part if it is an option.

So, belt is in place and all pulleys, etc. installed.  Timing marks line up correctly.  That was as far as I got because it started raining and I am a shade tree mechanic. 

Thanks again for all comments!

Edited by Mike V

Thanks for the suggestion, Moose, and I will definitely keep it in mind for future but for the heck of it I looked up the OUTER timing cover for my 2012 Outback, 2.5 l. SOHC, non turbo and they show the wrong one.  My car has the two-cover setup and their website shows the three-cover setup.

1 hour ago, Mike V said:

My car has the two-cover setup and their website shows the three-cover setup.

https://www.subarupartsforyou.com/v-2012-subaru-outback--2-5i--2-5l-h4-gas/engine--engine-parts

On that page, on the right of the large image are two small images. Click the lower small image. The page will scroll down about half way and you will see your two piece timing cover.

OK.  Belt job is complete.  All seems good.

One thing though is that I pretty much ruined (or finished ruining) the plastic clips that secure the utility/serpentine belt cover, the air snorkel as well as the clips on the driver's side that secure the radiator cover.  I am searching for the replacements but it is not clear on the websites whether I am looking at the right clips.  Anyone know the part numbers of know of a good site where they point out the various clips in that area?