Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 Subaru Brighton Wagon - If it ain't totalled, well it is.

Hello, my name is Alex and I broke my 4th windshield head on with my head about a week and a half ago. 

My purpose for joining and posting is to get some tips on what to do to fix it. If it is really a thing to do that. 

I fell asleep and rear ended a Honda Accord going well.. I don't know. I was sleeping. (35-45mph) Absolutely thrilled about my lack of Mandatory Car Insurance and I figure they are likely gonna suspend my license for a spell.. so, in lieu of scraping my car I am considering taking on a DIY repair in hopes of learning about frame damage, body work and a possible engine rebuild. 

The car was running after impact. Both airbags deployed and I woke up aware enough to know that I had to shut the car off. After being persistent to make a point of sitting in it until they pulled the other car off I rolled it down a hill into a gravel parking lot and walked home. 

I walked back and proceeded to get a better idea of how bad I messed it up. It wasn't leaking any oil which I take is a good sign.. the radiator was shot though. When I proceeded to weasel it out of the front of the motor I saw that the timing cover was smashed in and the timing belt was broken. It was still completely wrapped around all the pulleys and I reasoned with the idea that it may have torn when they pulled the other car off mine. 

The passenger side frame was smashed in pretty damn good. The driver side is pretty much untouched. It popped my driverside headlight assembly in a whole piece(breaking the mounting points) but unbroken in the sense that it hasn't cracked or anything. 

198,xxx miles. Did a full tune-up when I bought it. Has 2 new tierods ends, a new passenger inner, a new driverside ball joint, new flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disk (OEM), brand new tires all the way around, the motor was running strong, I have a compression tester but never popped it on there prior to this three ring circus. Also just put the new shifter bushings in which was a pain in the rump roast. Gimmie your thoughts if you got any. Thanks. 

Tried to post pics but my camera apparently doesn't take them below 5mp. Go figure.