Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fitting a 4" SJR lift to my L series (Loyale)

Hey fellow Subi enthusiasts!

A number of years ago I bought a 4" aluminium lift kit from SJR. I never actually had the chance to install it and now all these years later I have a touring wagon I would like to put it in.

Has anyone out there installed one of these before? I was going to pay someone to put it in although he seems to think that it's not a complete kit and is unsure how to fit it despite having installed heaps of (Subaru) lift kits before. I know I need to sort out gear linkage extensions as well as steering shaft extensions and possibly even brake line extensions.

Can anyone help please.

Cheers,

Lincoln

lift kit.jpg

2 hours ago, el_freddo said:

Unless their setup doesn’t drop the K frame, rather it swings the rear wheels down and literally under the back seat base. 

You got it. Leave the cross tube up against the body out of harm's way!

Looks complete to me. Just need a steering shaft extension, and a little creativity in the engine bay to make sure all the cables and hoses reach.

• Like 1

Thanks heaps Bennie and Numbchux.

I did a bit of research and the steering extension can apparently be sorted by making use of a '98-'00 forester steering knuckle.

I still don't understand where everything goes though. The front and rear strut tops blocks are obvious enough and it would seem that the the steel blocks are for the engine and gearbox crossmembers. I can only assume the rectangular alloy blocks are for the diff crossmember, however, I can't work out where the flat alloy plate and the sleeved bolts would go. Could one of you please fill me in?

Edited by ellie-ray

2 hours ago, ellie-ray said:

I can't work out where the flat alloy plate and the sleeved bolts would go. Could one of you please fill me in?

Sleeved bolts space the rear diff pumpkin down as does the flat alloy plate. Two sets of holes - one pair for 4 inch lift the other pair for 6 inch, IIRC.

Search USMB for rear diff top mount repairs if yours is damaged/worn out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, czny said:

Sleeved bolts space the rear diff pumpkin down as does the flat alloy plate. Two sets of holes - one pair for 4 inch lift the other pair for 6 inch, IIRC.

Wait, so in that case, where do the long rectangular alloy blocks go?

9 minutes ago, Ionstorm66 said:

They are ethier the rear axle drop or the front sub frame. The steel dose one and the alloy dose the other. 

Thanks Ionstorm66!

In that case do you know where the small steel blocks go?

I know I can do this if I try, I'm just afraid I might install it wrong and damage something.

5 minutes ago, ellie-ray said:

Thanks Ionstorm66!

In that case do you know where the small steel blocks go?

I know I can do this if I try, I'm just afraid I might install it wrong and damage something.

It's for dropping the manual transmission crossmember.

Everything one fits in one place. Just take it slow and don't force anything. Watch for brake lines, they will be at their limit trying to install a 4 inch kit. Also first step should be removing the shroud from the radiator.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ionstorm66 said:

It's for dropping the manual transmission crossmember.

Everything one fits in one place. Just take it slow and don't force anything. Watch for brake lines, they will be at their limit trying to install a 4 inch kit. Also first step should be removing the shroud from the radiator.

Brilliant!!! Thanks, really appreciate the advice!!! I'm going to make this work one way or another! Thanks heaps again :)

Edited by ellie-ray