Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Idle problems 93 Loyale EA82, 3sp auto 2 wd 4dr sedan

Idle problems 93 Loyale EA82, 3sp auto 2 wd  4dr sedan

Idle too low stalls in cold, when warm runs fine.

Idle goes high, 2000rpm? as it warms.

Vacuum seem fine, no leaks ( sprayed starter fluid at all vacuum hose joints.  Tap into AT vacuum line w/ vacuum gauge, is in green ~ 21", drops to maybe 15 on throttle fast press, goes right back up. to green in few secs.  Raise rpm, to 2500 or 3000?  Vacuum stays steady after brief dip.

Can pull codes if I can identify ODB I black and green plugs, don't seem to be around fuse panel,  any suggestions?

Thanks for your help,

Subaru made such good cars in 80's and 90s, now trying to obsolete them my limiting parts???

Anywhere I can fine new or used TBI or parts to rebuild?

Steady,but,slow cold idle-correct?

I would start by checking the CTS connector for corrosion and the CTS resistance.

IAC seems to be working(high cold idle) but would still be worth cleaning.It may be sticky.

Check fuel pressure.My own car behaves badly in cold weather if the fuel pressure is a little low,but,it runs fine warm.

Be aware that vacuum or unmetered air leaks occur at places other than hose joints.(Unlikely if the idle is steady).

• Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 10:43 AM, myhilo said:

Subaru made such good cars in 80's and 90s, now trying to obsolete them my limiting parts???

Subaru, and every other manufacturer, is in the business of selling NEW cars. They aren't trying to obsolete their older products anymore that any other car maker. Which is to say they would love you to buy a new one and scrap that old POS.

GD

• Like 1