Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'14 Forester Muffler Replacement/Upgrade

Hello Everyone,

My Forester developed a nasty rattle which was tracked down to a failed tack weld and rust on the heat shield above the muffler.  Attempted fixes failed so I dropped the muffler and looked around.  the seam on top of the muffler is failing and split open and the rest of the heat shield is toast as a result.  Does anyone have suggestions on which muffler I should put on?  I do not want stock, I would rather upgrade and get a little more high end torque/hp, even if it is negligible.  I'll sacrifice the low end torque since the engine is frequently revved pretty high (lots of high altitude and mountainous driving)...What can I say, I like the skinny pedal.  Also, would I need to reroute pipe or could a new one just be welded up in place?  I have a trailer hitch installed which does reduce available space a little.  I could potentially gain access to a welder, but I'm not going to be able to bend pipe to do any further modifications.  I'm looking to increase sound but there's no need to be obnoxious.

Edited by Daskuppler