Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ADF Adapter plate help.

You need to have two bolts welded together so there offset. Screw one end into the engine, slide the adaptor plate in place then fit the gearbox. 

You should have enough meat on the lower studs to leave them as is. 

I’m surprised your adaptor plate doesn’t come with the required bolts. My mate makes them over here and he supplies modified bolts welded by a certified welder (which is required for engineering certification). 

Cheers 

Bennie

8 hours ago, el_freddo said:

You need to have two bolts welded together so there offset. Screw one end into the engine, slide the adaptor plate in place then fit the gearbox. 

I’m surprised your adaptor plate doesn’t come with the required bolts. My mate makes them over here and he supplies modified bolts welded by a certified welder (which is required for engineering certification). 

Cheers 

Bennie

You should be required to declare this fact each time you suggest EJ implant

9 hours ago, el_freddo said:

Cheers 

Bennie

I've seen that done, but every plate I've used had holes tapped into it and bolts threaded into the plate. You drill out the threads in the engine, and then bolt the plate on.

I just looked at the ADF page, it says right there it's 3/8-16. Just a matter of measuring the thicknesses and adding it up.

https://awdadventure.com/collections/ea82/products/ea-ej-adapter-plate

Edit: based on the picture, it looks like the SJR one comes with smaller diameter studs, so you don't have to drill out the threads in the block.

https://www.sjrlift.com/collections/engine-swap/products/ej-to-ea-engine-adapter-engine-swap-sjr-ej22-into-ea82

Edited by Numbchux

On 12/3/2020 at 8:21 AM, Step-a-toe said:

You should be required to declare this fact each time you suggest EJ implant

Depends on how you go about it. I’m not into adaptor plates but know a bit about them. 

And if someone goes for an EJ swap, some research should be part of this decision! I guess not everyone does this bit before diving in head first. 

Cheers 

Bennie

14 hours ago, Ionstorm66 said:

Kind of odd to require a steel plate to attach two aluminum parts together. As long as there is enough thickness for proper thread engagement.

It's only ~1/2" thick. The threads in the block are much deeper than that. Maybe Aluminum would work, but I feel better with it being steel.