Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Legacy Blows Second Head Gasket in 30k miles

I replaced the head gaskets in my 1999 2.2 Legacy less than 30k miles ago and I've already got another blown gasket. I used the Napa Felpro head gasket kit on the original repair. This was my first time replacing a head gasket, so I could have made some sort of mistake, but I think I was pretty careful and deliberate with everything. I love the car and have put a lot of other work in it to keep it in tip top shape (or so I thought).

My question is:  is it worth fixing or will I just keep blowing head gaskets because something is warped or terminally wrong with the engine and/or heads?

There are no machine shops in my area that can resurface Subaru heads, but I did have them checked before I re-installed them and the machinist said they were fine. I had also checked the engine block and it wasn't warped.

Any advice is appreciated.  

1 hour ago, Deeron said:

There are no machine shops in my area that can resurface Subaru heads

I don't believe that. If there are 2 places here in Duluth, MN that do them regularly, there's somebody that's done them in the Raleigh area. Make some phone calls, I bet there are.

I'm sure someone will chime in with more head gasket experience than I, but conventional wisdom on Subaru head gaskets, is OEM Only.

I'd also be curious what your failure is, I believe the '99 2.2 should be phase 2, which the common HG failure is an external oil leak.

I live on a remote island in Alaska where we have only one guy who machines cylinder heads and he said he can't do Subaru heads because they are too soft. So I assure you, there is no one here who can do it. 

I thought oem gaskets were not recommended for Subarus because they fail regularly?

I'm pretty sure the failure is on the driver side. It started by leaking coolant and onto the exhaust manifold there. Now it's burning coolant.  

I have had good luck with FelPro head gaskets on our 95 and 97 EJ22 RHD Legacys. The only time they failed is when (on the mail route) one of the small hoses on the throttle body or IAC valve leaked coolant or the thermostat decided to not open and the engine overheated.

If your Legacy has A/C, then it has two radiator fans. Do both fans run on low speed when the engine warms up and then on high speed when really hot or the A/C is turned on?

I don't know if your 99 has this or not. Remove the dash panel under the steering wheel and look for two green (test) connectors. If there, connect them and then turn the Key to ON (no start). The fuel pump will cycle, relays and solenoids will click, then both fans will turn on low speed then high speed and off, and the cycle will repeat until you turn the Key OFF. Then disconnect the green connectors.

Another thing to consider is the heater core. It must have good coolant flow through it. That is required in order to open the thermostat. I hook up two hoses and use our garden hose to flush ours both directions until the water is clear.

On 11/30/2020 at 6:06 PM, Deeron said:

I live on a remote island in Alaska where we have only one guy who machines cylinder heads and he said he can't do Subaru heads because they are too soft. So I assure you, there is no one here who can do it. 

I thought oem gaskets were not recommended for Subarus because they fail regularly?

I'm pretty sure the failure is on the driver side. It started by leaking coolant and onto the exhaust manifold there. Now it's burning coolant.  

The recommended OEM gasket fpr the EJ25 is the Turbo gasket 110044AA770 or 642.  As Ramage says many have had good luck with the Felpro MLS gasket.

Edited by Mike104

what fel pro part number? Id be curious what they supply for the uncommon Phase II EJ22  

If you bought the car recently like this then you have to wonder how badly it was abused prior.  Roll dice, assess things...

If you’ve owned and driven it a long time trouble free before this then it was probably a glitch during install.

1. Resurface the heads yourself and clean them. It’s so easy, compared to DIY head gasket replacement it’s a drop in the bucket.

”testing them” is a complete waste of time on Subaru’s. They always test fine but you’ll see high and low spots every time if you watch during resurfacing. I don’t want high and low spots on a engine that has head gasket issues from a new factory clean seal job  

2. Calibrate or somehow verify your torque wrench and your torque procedures. Ignore Fel Pro recommendations and clean and reuse your original Subaru head bolts if you have them.  Use Subaru torque procedure and bolts, even the used ones  

3. clean the block - do not use sand paper or wire wheel. 

4. clean and lubricate the bolt holes and bolt threads so proper torque leads to design clamping loads.

On EJ25s the gasket installed today is not what was originally installed. I favor Subaru, many others do as well, but Fel Pro is used extensively by some shops and I’ve installed a couple without issues. But totally ignore their asinine head bolt comments. 

2 hours ago, Mike104 said:

The recommended OEM gasket is the Turbo gasket 110044AA770 or 642.  As Ramage says many have had good luck with the Felpro MLS gasket.

Those are EJ25 part numbers, he’s got an EJ22. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Deeron said:

Ah, that's a bit different. Your profile says Durham, NC. Where in AK? I've been up there a few times (got married in Girdwood). 

12 hours ago, Rampage said:

I have had good luck with FelPro head gaskets on our 95 and 97 EJ22 RHD Legacys.

Those are both Phase 1, different head design and much less likely to fail.

12 hours ago, Mike104 said:

The recommended OEM gasket is the Turbo gasket 110044AA770 or 642.  As Ramage says many have had good luck with the Felpro MLS gasket.

Those are for a 2.5. There's no factory MLS option for the phase 2 2.2. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We resurface multiple sets of heads per week for the last 10 years with that method. Never had an issue. 

The 2.2 has a smaller bore. You can't use the 770 gasket, etc. We use a gasket from Cometic on the rare occasion that we find the need to do the head gaskets on a phase II 2.2 engine. 

Surface prep on the block, head resurfacing, proper block thread cleaning, ensure the bolts are in the correct holes (washer size), and use of Amsoil assembly lube on the bolt threads for correct torque without creaking. All important aspects of this job. 

GD

• Like 2