Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 loyale timing belt issue

You definitely need to replace the 3 idlers.  The bearings don't last much longer than the belts.   If there is extra slop, it's on it's way to failure.   The belt should be fully on the pulleys.  I have had a couple that tracked weird, and flipping them helped.

• Like 1

Back in the 90s - before after market idlers existed, and Subaru wanted $90 per idler - I converted the brackets on some old tensioners to use replaceable standard bearings.  The idler with the teeth is already a standard bearing.  I buy known name brand bearings with contact seals, and replace only the bearings.

The tensioners have a swaged post with a standard size bearing [looks like] friction / spin welded onto it.  I turned bar stock into posts for standard bearings, and swaged them onto the flat brackets. 

• Like 2

1.  replace all of the pulleys. 

a. cheap kits, run no covers, and check or replace them often.  no big deal, easy to check. 

b. or use better stuff and replace at longer intervals

2.  i would look at the crank sprockets and make sure they're not warn or damaged from prior crank pulley bolt looseness/failure.  it's not uncommon for people to not tighten the crank pulley bolt enough (someone just posted a thread about rebuilding and engine because of it last week) - it loosens and wobbles and hogs up the crank snout, crank pulley, and timing sprockets.   they then replace the mangled crank pulley and bolt but leave the damaged sprockets in place. 

I'd pull the crank sprockets, or at least verify the outer edge of the first one is fine and see if they're not sitting square or flush.  Although my guess is they are perfectly fine based on which side is worse - but being remote and not seeing the car it would just be a good idea to check it. 

• 5 weeks later...

Without TB covers can swap out just the worn belts and then keep tabs on the tensioners and idler.

I once had a cheap set of ITM (Chinese knockoff) TBs and one belt would wander back n forth across the cam gear. I think I now have Mitsuboshi belts.

Edited by rickyhils
sp Mitsuboshi