Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Warranty purchase help in Florida

Hello. My wife and I bought our first Subaru, a 2021 Forester Touring, about a week and a half ago in Orlando, FL. We declined the extended warranty at the time of purchase but now my wife wants to purchase it for her peace of mind. I don't want to purchase it but I have already lost that discussion. I have found a lot of great information on this forum about the warranty and about pricing. The price for the 10 /100k Gold Plus plan at the dealer was about $2500. I thought that was a lot of money at the time and now I have read that I was right and the price can be negotiated and the warranty can be bought from other dealers. I called a different dealer, than the one we purchased from, and was told that in Florida all insurance and warrantees were regulated and all dealers had the same price. Has anybody had any luck getting a better price in Florida? Are there other states in my "region" I could/should try calling? I called a dealer in NJ that was recommended on here and he was very helpful but said that he couldn't sell it to me because we were out of his region, he did say that $1500 is a good price for the plan we were looking at. Any help to save some extra money would be helpful. Thank you
Edited by likopoku

12 hours ago, likopoku said:
Hello. My wife and I bought our first Subaru, a 2021 Forester Touring, about a week and a half ago in Orlando, FL. We declined the extended warranty at the time of purchase but now my wife wants to purchase it for her peace of mind. I don't want to purchase it but I have already lost that discussion. I have found a lot of great information on this forum about the warranty and about pricing. The price for the 10 /100k Gold Plus plan at the dealer was about $2500. I thought that was a lot of money at the time and now I have read that I was right and the price can be negotiated and the warranty can be bought from other dealers. I called a different dealer, than the one we purchased from, and was told that in Florida all insurance and warrantees were regulated and all dealers had the same price. Has anybody had any luck getting a better price in Florida? Are there other states in my "region" I could/should try calling? I called a dealer in NJ that was recommended on here and he was very helpful but said that he couldn't sell it to me because we were out of his region, he did say that $1500 is a good price for the plan we were looking at. Any help to save some extra money would be helpful. Thank you

Sorry this turned into an essay.....i'll add some bold to help organize it....

An alternative option:

Here's a way you and your wife can almost both get what you wanted. 

You can add the extended warranty at any time up until the Basic warranty runs out - so if your curren Basic warranty is 3 years 36,000/miles - you can wait 3 years or until just prior to 36,000 miles and add it then.  I'm pretty sure Subaru will be sending you plenty of marketing material to remind you of this when the time comes.

Then if for some reason the car is stolen, burnt in a fire, wrecked, totaled due to hailstorm before that 36,000 miles - you paid nothing for the extended warranty which you never used.  If you pay it now and something like that happens in the first couple years - you're out the warranty purchase money and it never protected you.  I'd wait.  The only down side is the price potentially going up. 

Getting the warranty now:

If you still want the warranty now.  Here's what I would do.  I would call a few other distant dealers and ask them for a quote, and if they can't sell you one, try to ask them what they're current offerings are. 

Then I would ask your local dealer if they can match it, preferably I'd go in person and say something like "Hey I'd prefer to continue a working relationship here but was also wondering if there's a way to close this large gap between warranty pricing I'm seeing?"    Of course these are odd times to go in person but you might have to "pay to play" if you don't want to do that. That's often how the market works - they'll wait to see who's serious before they budge. 

And see if they'll come down.  Then you get a reduced price but still maintain a connection to the local dealer which I find helpful. 

If they don't budge at all then yeah try to get an actual quote/sale from another dealer. 

Where:

Yes I think they are trying to reduce the nationwide shopping spree for warranty's but I'm not sure they put a total stop to it.  I would still call a couple of the real big, nationally recognized high volume dealers and ask.   I'd call Carl Abrams at the big Oklahoma City Subaru dealer.  He's helped me out before and got a friend of mine in Southern GA - very close to FL, an extended warranty for much cheaper. But that was like 2 years ago. 

You might call Liberty, Westchester (ask for Luke), Planet Subaru in Boston - or try Atlanta since it's close.  The southern GA dealers quoted my friend fairly high prices as well. 

Edited by idosubaru

My name is Chris and I am a Finance manager at Matt Slap Subaru in Newark Delaware. This is the home of tax free shopping. I have gotten a number of calls over the years from people all over the United States because if you buy a Warranty in Delaware you don't have to pay sales tax. The price you were quoted is definitely the retail price for the coverage. Feel free to reach out if there is something we can help you with. 

Edited by SubieDE

2 hours ago, SubieDE said:

My name is Chris and I am a Finance manager at Matt Slap Subaru in Newark Delaware. This is the home of tax free shopping. I have gotten a number of calls over the years from people all over the United States because if you buy a Warranty in Delaware you don't have to pay sales tax. The price you were quoted is definitely the retail price for the coverage. Feel free to reach out if there is something we can help you with. 

Thanks Chris. Welcome to USMB. Subaru should grab an office a few miles away from Cherry Hill, in DE for tax free perks like Jos A Banks and others do!