Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ with d/r 5 speed brat swap issue needing guidance..

Hey guys so the engine and tranny are finally in the brat.

Ej22

Ea82 D/R 5 speed

4 inch lift.

ADF adaptor plate.

I am having a minor issue I could use guidance on.

The tranny I got was minus a shift lever, and I'm unsure as to how it assembles and I cannot find a diagram. Also the same with the D/R selector. I figure once I see how it assembles I can figure out how to extend what I need to accommodate the lift.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, Skubaskott said:

Hey guys so the engine and tranny are finally in the brat.

Ej22

Ea82 D/R 5 speed

4 inch lift.

ADF adaptor plate.

I am having a minor issue I could use guidance on.

The tranny I got was minus a shift lever, and I'm unsure as to how it assembles and I cannot find a diagram. Also the same with the D/R selector. I figure once I see how it assembles I can figure out how to extend what I need to accommodate the lift.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

It might help if you as a photo of your bits, clean, seperated so people can help. Maybe numbered tags?

You should have another set of rods that connects to the back of the gearbox, one “solid” mounted (with a rubber bush) with a plate/knuckle for the base of the gear lever; the other rod connects higher up on the gear lever and to the gear selector shaft at the back on the LHS of the gearbox. 

That parallel rod will be for the low range/4wd. It should pass through the back of the gearbox to a U shaped connector that uses a pin to hold the rod into the cab’s low range lever. 

With a four inch lift you will need some serious mods to these rods and connectors to make it all work, you could DIY something to fit. Even adapting the EJ manual shifter would be a good start for the required parts to get this working. 

Use the EA81 low range lever and adapt it to the EA82 low range rod on the gearbox ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

13 hours ago, el_freddo said:

You should have another set of rods that connects to the back of the gearbox, one “solid” mounted (with a rubber bush) with a plate/knuckle for the base of the gear lever; the other rod connects higher up on the gear lever and to the gear selector shaft at the back on the LHS of the gearbox. 

That parallel rod will be for the low range/4wd. It should pass through the back of the gearbox to a U shaped connector that uses a pin to hold the rod into the cab’s low range lever. 

With a four inch lift you will need some serious mods to these rods and connectors to make it all work, you could DIY something to fit. Even adapting the EJ manual shifter would be a good start for the required parts to get this working. 

Use the EA81 low range lever and adapt it to the EA82 low range rod on the gearbox ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

Thank you for a real answer! Any chance you can snap some pics of a Haynes showing the way thelinkages bolt together??? Jdmfiles leaves only the drivetrain parts out of the ea82 manual -_-

These might help: 

93E22ACE-0E18-4F6F-8B7A-8CBF9A436D5B.thumb.jpeg.e5efad6e957e471c999774714f9c2d2c.jpeg

Gear lever arrangement ^ 

Low range lever setup for a stock vehicle:

7007A139-57D5-424F-A1C3-2CFAF4421622.thumb.jpeg.6daa5eadb6eada659bf046af8af31b9a.jpeg

A bent rod welded to the EA81 low range lever would work to adapt the two together. 

I hope this helps. Pics are from partsouq - try using your vin to find other images like this. 

Cheers 

Bennie

On 12/10/2020 at 11:32 PM, el_freddo said:
21 hours ago, el_freddo said:

These might help: 

93E22ACE-0E18-4F6F-8B7A-8CBF9A436D5B.thumb.jpeg.e5efad6e957e471c999774714f9c2d2c.jpeg

Gear lever arrangement ^ 

Low range lever setup for a stock vehicle:

7007A139-57D5-424F-A1C3-2CFAF4421622.thumb.jpeg.6daa5eadb6eada659bf046af8af31b9a.jpeg

A bent rod welded to the EA81 low range lever would work to adapt the two together. 

I hope this helps. Pics are from partsouq - try using your vin to find other images like this. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Thank you very much!!!!!