Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'85 GL10 power rack & pinion

I've searched everywhere. Found a couple on Amazon. It was expensive and I don't even know if it will fit. The in/out lines don't look like they are in the right place. It's raining now or I'd be trying to put it on. Does anyone know a reputable place to get parts for my late model? 

25 minutes ago, Ionstorm66 said:

Is the GL-10 rack the same as a normal rack? I don't think anyone rebuilds them anymore for sale. A local shop might be able to rebuild it, or find a good used unit.

I'm not sure about it being the same as a normal rack. I bought a rebuilt through Amazon for 350. Amazon was the only place it was available. The page said it will fit. I will probably rebuild the one I'm removing and selling it to make some of that loss back. The rebuild is just going to be tedious. My only other option would be to drain my fluid and run without power steering, but that'll ruin my pump.

I’ve bought EA82 racks not too long ago for like $100. Did your try Rock auto and eBay?

Your best bet is to do a quick search on Subaru Online site, rock auto, a national chain and then ask here if you have any questions.

Do not look for “one store” to supply all your old gen Subaru needs. That’s gonna suck.

18 hours ago, el_freddo said:

... Any EA82 PS rack will be a direct bolt in replacement. They didn’t do anything special to the GL-10 racks ...

Despite that the statement is True: any EA82 Power Steering rack will be a direct replacement; there are three different ones for the L series; the difference is the inner diameter of the Rod, and you can notice it by the colour of the hydraulic seals; being the thinner rod with Blue seals, the intermediate rod with green seals and the thicker one came with red seals. I bet that it has something to do with the market where the subie was sold (according to the terrains it will be driven more often), not exactly on which engine it had mounted from factory.

Kind Regards.

21 hours ago, idosubaru said:

I’ve bought EA82 racks not too long ago for like $100. Did your try Rock auto and eBay?

Your best bet is to do a quick search on Subaru Online site, rock auto, a national chain and then ask here if you have any questions.

Do not look for “one store” to supply all your old gen Subaru needs. That’s gonna suck.

Rockauto's only option was for me to send them mine to be rebuilt. Better price, but it's a daily driver. Amazon was the only place I could find one in stock. I tried everywhere including the local dealership. I joined this site to see what options anyone else had found.