Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No spark

Hi all, I recently got a 1979 subaru brat and it’s got its share of issues, most recently/frustrating is it's not getting any spark. It was running decently (needs carb adjustments/cleaned, fluids flushed, etc.) when I first brought it home. One day when I was driving to the gas station it just died on me, got it home and decided it wasn't getting any spark. At that time, it had the old points distributor but the fella that I bought it from gave me a box full of parts including a seemingly new (very clean and no signs of wear) electronic distributor and mention I just need to the coil to convert it to electronic ignition, did my research and figured that is in fact a simple and possible swap. With it dead I figured this would be a good time to make the swap and ordered a coil for a '83 brat, swapped in the distributor and coil... still no spark, tested by pulling a spark plug, grounding said plug and watching for a spark.

So far, I have manually sparked the coil wire and got a strong purple spark (grounded the negative side then broke said ground), used a test light on the negative side of the coil while cranking and it does pulse (doesn't turn all the way off just kind of fades in and out, is that okay?), the tach bounces with the cranks, and I have tried flip flopping the wires from the distributor. Currently have a black/red, yellow, green (aftermarket tach), and white (from the distributor) hooked to the negative side of the coil. On the positive side I have a black and black/white, black/red, and reddish brown (from the distributor). I pulled the distributor out stuck the multimeter to the wires and manually spun the shaft, my needle on the multimeter bounced slightly (cheap multimeter doesn't go into the 1000's+ ohm's, assuming with a more sensitive meter it would bounce around more), and the ignition fuse is good.

Hoping I made a simple wiring mistake, or missed a step in the points to electronic conversion? any help would be greatly appreciated as I am moving in a week and would like to be able to drive this thing onto the trailer. 

IMG_9083.heic

IMG_9082.heic