Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Air Conditioning question

Were the firewalls or the bodies any different on the air conditioning models virses the non ac cars or is it all packaged under the dash? How hard is it to swap into a non ac first gen?(Specifically for an 81 Brat) 

Edited by Chance

I only know third gens, but all of them came with the dash parts. Evap was just capped at the firewall. They also had the air con button, it just didnt no anything. 

The dealer air had the compressor on the outside by the battery, with the alternator on the inside. Made it impossible to change the spark plugs on that side without lifting up the ac compressor, huge pain. Same with trying to change valve cover gaskets.

15 hours ago, Ionstorm66 said:

I only know third gens, but all of them came with the dash parts. Evap was just capped at the firewall. They also had the air con button, it just didnt no anything. 

Nope.  I've poked around a couple EA82 DL models and at least one GL that didn't come with A/C.  There is no evaporator under the dash (replaced with a simple plastic bellows) and the holes in the firewall have rubber plugs, they're not hiding any hardlines.

14 minutes ago, carfreak85 said:

Nope.  I've poked around a couple EA82 DL models and at least one GL that didn't come with A/C.  There is no evaporator under the dash (replaced with a simple plastic bellows) and the holes in the firewall have rubber plugs, they're not hiding any hardlines.

Odd every one ive seen in a junk yard has had caps on the evap. Maybe it was a per dealer thing? I'm in the south so they may of ordered them with the inside AC parts.

If you have all the parts and the two vehicles are the same generation, you can swap the AC in. 

I’ve done it with one of our Brumbys over here. Pulled all the AC gear, including wiring from the touring wagon and dropped it into the Brumby. Took the PS as well ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

• 7 months later...
On 12/27/2020 at 9:13 PM, Chance said:

Thats good, so what im hearing is, the cars were actually the same, and i can swap all my A/C components into a non-A/C car.

Not exactly. I don't think you can do that to every car model. It depends on the car, honestly. You see, even though it is possible, swapping in some vehicles is going to be much harder compared to other vehicles. Like how el_freddo said, if the cars are of the same make and model, you probably can swap them. But bro, it won't be easy because you have to pull out everything a/c related even to get started. I once called an aircon service near me to ask if they could do this for my brother's car, but it seems like they don't offer this exact kind of service. The simple solution is never to buy a non-a/c car or make sure the a/c is installed right from the dealer shop.

Edited by brycechard