Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82T with AMR500 supercharger

seems like its the most possible way to supercharge an older subaru, the cfm lines up, the power loss is low, (i heard about 14 hp)  V-Belt

less heat around #3 cyl. and the thing costs less then $200
https://www.amazon.com/Supercharger-Compressor-Kompressor-Turbocharger-Remanufactured/dp/B08HRT6YPT

keep it civil, searching for supercharger only brings up old flame war posts from 2006 with hardly any info, lets be productive this time

61qPMP34VGL._AC_SY450_.jpg

Edited by turbodog

Supercharged Subaru engines suck. The engines are too small, and the parasitic loss from a supercharger is too much for them. Every BRZ we have ever tuned with a Supercharger ends up pulling it off and going to a turbo, or selling it. It's not a good idea - they feel like they do nothing till you get up higher in the RPM and then you get a little burst of power before you hit redline...... Especially on the EA82T which is a fragile engine that has no support or parts availability. 

Superchargers are the realm of big V6's and V8's for a reason. They give a linear power response, are a big parasitic load, and they need an engine that makes a lot of power down low to brute force their way through the drag. You can make a lot more low end torque and control the power output better on a little Subaru engine with a turbo. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1

It's certainly cheap enough to take a flyer on.  Someone was fitting one of these to a HF Predator engine on one of the go-kart forums I'm on.  Not sure how it turned out for him, but this application seems more inline with what that blower would fit.

The listing does leave out a LOT of information that would be critical to know. 

3 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

Supercharged Subaru engines suck. The engines are too small, and the parasitic loss from a supercharger is too much for them. Every BRZ we have ever tuned with a Supercharger ends up pulling it off and going to a turbo, or selling it. It's not a good idea - they feel like they do nothing till you get up higher in the RPM and then you get a little burst of power before you hit redline...... Especially on the EA82T which is a fragile engine that has no support or parts availability. 

Superchargers are the realm of big V6's and V8's for a reason. They give a linear power response, are a big parasitic load, and they need an engine that makes a lot of power down low to brute force their way through the drag. You can make a lot more low end torque and control the power output better on a little Subaru engine with a turbo. 

GD

you know, thats your opinion, and its valid, but its not about whether or not YOU don't like them, and on an EJ/FA yeah, there is zero low down torque.    there is no denying a turbo is better, but the topic at hand is a supercharger, and the fact is,  its something different.

1 hour ago, carfreak85 said:

It's certainly cheap enough to take a flyer on.  Someone was fitting one of these to a HF Predator engine on one of the go-kart forums I'm on.  Not sure how it turned out for him, but this application seems more inline with what that blower would fit.

The listing does leave out a LOT of information that would be critical to know. 

there is enough info floating around various other car forums,  the VW guys love em,   seems like at a standard 2:1 pully would not be enough, so it would need to be a 3:1 pully and then the redline would be at 6K,  the idea is just have regular stock levels of boost, just a bit more low end torque and nice supercharger whine.   

I am not expert on superchargers or even turbos,  and Yes my EA-82 is low power at low RPM, however,  my build i  had Delta Cam do a Stage 1 cam grind for more low RPM power, and i also run a Weber 38/38 Synchro Carburetor-- you can get the kit from Red Line.  (I was the 1st person they know of to actually use this carb to the EA-82)  The result is lots more low end power.  I can spin the front tires in 2wd.  i have not put it on the Dyno yet, but in the future i will.  my thought is the 14hp drag of our supercharger would not over come the added performance  and the supercharger will not make as much boost as a turbo charger.  The caution on parts and the head gasket issues of the EA 82 would make me shy away from this mod... (My 86 GL wagon has the automatic transmission hence is high geared compared to the 5speed manual trans, and for me it is an every day driver so the low end torque and power is needed for me for starting out and getting on the freeway when my RPMs will not be over 4000 that often  FYI only)

Edited by Mack Truck
  • Like 1

you mentioned the VW guys love these superchargers,  here is a graph of a 1974 with 75hr at about 2750 peak tq.  the subaru redlines up near 6000rpm so the response and net gains might be quite different.  just saying...  the blower on this bug shown below is much larger than the one you are speaking of.  some interesting stuff. glad you make  this thread.  best of luck let us know what you do and if it works for you.      

Edited by Mack Truck
  • Thanks 1

i put a toyota sc12 or 14 (previa super charger )on an ea82 back in that day. over 15 years ago.

it definitely made more power, wasnt super difficult to do, and dirt cheap. i messed around with it for a few months and sold the car, so no idea how reliable it ended up being.

peak boost was 5psi. total cost was maybe 250. i see that as a win

• Like 1

On 12/29/2020 at 10:58 AM, turbodog said:

you know, thats your opinion, and its valid, but its not about whether or not YOU don't like them, and on an EJ/FA yeah, there is zero low down torque.    there is no denying a turbo is better, but the topic at hand is a supercharger, and the fact is,  its something different.

It's more than an opinion. I'm the only one in this discussion that owns a chassis dyno. And it's a fact that the EA82 is fragile and lacks replacement parts. 

GD