Ultimate Subaru Message Board

areogel heat sheild between block and intake manifold ea82T

8 minutes ago, GeneralDisorder said:

You just haven't seen an EJ swap done the right way. We run them with LINK standalones. Makes it a lot easier.

GD

i meant i really dont like the ej... as like a whole..  its probably the most boring engine ever made by Subaru, way too common, nothing really special about it.. yeah they have more power and everything is "better" but it really lacks character compared to an old EA....  try going to an old flathead forum and just tell them to "LS swap" their roadsters because its so much better, lol.

i really do appreciate the advise, and it has affected what im going to do, i just think its a fun hobby trying to make the underdog of underdogs shine, its nothing more the just a fun project for me to work on during covid.  ive been looking for an 88 turbo for years, and this has alot of awesome things, like diff lock and lsd, so i figured this would be the best ea car to try this on.

1 hour ago, turbodog said:

but it really lacks character compared to an old EA

Are you British? By character you mean you need to spend lots of time with it and the various issues. 

EJ engines are so plentiful because Subaru were onto a good thing, hence why it stuck around for so long! 

I love my EJ concerted L series. I would not want an EA82 again to the point that I’d drop an EA81 in place of the EA82 if it came to it. 

You need to try an EJ22 in an EA body with a nice exhaust to see how good they are as a conversion - plus they’re uber easy to maintain, parts-a-plenty too. 

Each to their own. 

Cheers 

Bennie

30 minutes ago, el_freddo said:

Are you British? By character you mean you need to spend lots of time with it and the various issues. 

EJ engines are so plentiful because Subaru were onto a good thing, hence why it stuck around for so long! 

I love my EJ concerted L series. I would not want an EA82 again to the point that I’d drop an EA81 in place of the EA82 if it came to it. 

You need to try an EJ22 in an EA body with a nice exhaust to see how good they are as a conversion - plus they’re uber easy to maintain, parts-a-plenty too. 

Each to their own. 

Cheers 

Bennie

lmao, nope not british, but defiantly stubborn.  this basically is my last ea engine im ever gonna spend time on, im going to retire from being a mechanic after i finish my last two projects..

just building this 88 gl-10 and then a 98 legacy postal wagon swaping in a twin turbo ej20, but that's another story

It's a result of experience. And if you're going to "retire" from being a mechanic after these two we can assume you haven't got any. The time you spend on these de-improvements is time you will never get back and it won't make a bit of difference. The EA82/T is a DEAD PLATFORM. You can't get any of the parts needed to meaningfully build one in the way you seem to desire. Also it will be worth absolutely nothing when you are done. Especially with all the "custom modifications" you have made. People will run from it. 

The twin turbo is a terrible idea. Yeah they are DIRT cheap. There's reasons for that which I mentioned. Again - can't get any of the parts for the twin's anymore. Even tough to get gaskets and valves for those old heads. No support for them. Could run a standalone but it's a tuning nightmare and those turbo's are super inefficient. Why do you think no one does sequential turbo builds in the EJ world and those engines are like $400? Yeah - reasons. That's why. 

And it's not at all like going to a flathead forum and telling them to LS swap. You CAN get flathead parts. Same with the SBC. I still have SBC's in my 69 GMC, my 84 Jimmy, my 84 Blazer, my 86 Trans Am, and my 91 Formula. They are great and you can find parts under any rock. Hell I even have a EJ22T in my 91 SS, and an EA81 in my 86 Hatch. Those are still mostly viable. Although looks like the EA81 is going to get yanked for an EJ22 and a Bill Hincher EJ to Toyota bell-housing....

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

15 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

It's a result of experience. And if you're going to "retire" from being a mechanic after these two we can assume you haven't got any. The time you spend on these de-improvements is time you will never get back and it won't make a bit of difference. The EA82/T is a DEAD PLATFORM. You can't get any of the parts needed to meaningfully build one in the way you seem to desire. Also it will be worth absolutely nothing when you are done. Especially with all the "custom modifications" you have made. People will run from it. 

The twin turbo is a terrible idea. Yeah they are DIRT cheap. There's reasons for that which I mentioned. Again - can't get any of the parts for the twin's anymore. Even tough to get gaskets and valves for those old heads. No support for them. Could run a standalone but it's a tuning nightmare and those turbo's are super inefficient. Why do you think no one does sequential turbo builds in the EJ world and those engines are like $400? Yeah - reasons. That's why. 

And it's not at all like going to a flathead forum and telling them to LS swap. You CAN get flathead parts. Same with the SBC. I still have SBC's in my 69 GMC, my 84 Jimmy, my 84 Blazer, my 86 Trans Am, and my 91 Formula. They are great and you can find parts under any rock. Hell I even have a EJ22T in my 91 SS, and an EA81 in my 86 Hatch. Those are still mostly viable. Although looks like the EA81 is going to get yanked for an EJ22 and a Bill Hincher EJ to Toyota bell-housing....

GD

so, what your saying its a dead platform because of lack of parts? i just replaced the entire engines worth of parts, so... maybe you haven't found the resources i have, ive been able to get every part i could ever need without issues for both the ea and the TT

im not a fan of the twin turbo either, its got smaller turbos then the ea82,  lol.   its what i was asked to build, ive tried to convince otherwise, not happening.

as for "custom mods"  what do you call an ej swap then?  i see right now, an ej swapped GL having a hard time being sold for like.. what 300 bucks?   its on this forum.  the only custom mods ive done is add an intercooler and fix all the leaks and cleaned the injectors.  i can just take the intercooler off and its 100% stock

Edited by turbodog

On 1/12/2021 at 2:55 PM, turbodog said:

going to continue all this in the members ride section, but im posting this pic here cause its still on topic

photo_2021-01-12_14-38-15.jpg?width=734&

lets see if it works!  love the negativity and pessimism in this forum, really helps out with the vibe here.

Just a thought on your installation based on my time working for a vehicle manufacturer.  Applying a thermal barrier to a part will itself have some level of effectiveness, but if you design an air gap between the component, in your case the intake manifold, and the barrier, it will be MILES more effective at insulating from radiant heat.  Once your thermal tape heat soaks, it will begin transferring the radiant heat from the block and coolant crossover into the manifold, albeit, at a slightly slower rate and over a slightly longer period of time than without it.

This is why the exhaust heat shields either have a flame-retardant filling, or they encapsulate the exhaust pipe and have a 0.25-0.5 -in. gap between the pipe and the shield.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from this project or trying to be critical, just trying to share some of the best practices we use in vehicle design and manufacturing to get the most out of your mods.

24 minutes ago, carfreak85 said:

it will begin transferring the radiant heat from the block and coolant crossover into the manifold, albeit, at a slightly slower rate and over a slightly longer period of time than without it.

that's the idea,  long periods of time at high speed cruise, my therory is the super cold intake charge from the intercooler should keep the manifold decently cold (i hope) lol 

ill get some temp readings sitting at idle after it's fully warmed up and then ill cruise for a little bit and measure again and ill post the results!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2021 at 5:22 AM, turbodog said:

im not really looking for ppwer gains, im just trying to do every heat management trick i can... i know how fragile these engines are, so i figured the more under control the heat is, the longer the engine will last.   if i dont gain power thats fine with me, but if i gain any,  well... that's an unintentional side effect!   this is also going to have the full exhaust heatwrapped.

i did this on my last car...  

photo_2019-12-31_15-34-51.jpg?width=622&

Fragile??

This is the EA81 not the EA82 ??