Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EGR RESET EA81 1985 Brat/ SHOULD I CLEAN THE EGR VALVE?

Hey all... I still didnt do that wire swap under the dash to clear the EGR Light that is lit on the dash... I know I was told that the EGR light will come on in the dash cluster every 60K miles.... But I was curious to know does that mean it will come on again at 120K miles and 180K miles???? Thanks Joe

See Im trying to verify mileage on my brat that is showing 62K on the clock.

Thanks for your replys Daaa REPLIES LOL... Joe

Yes - clean it. It reduces combustion temps, and will prevent burned plugs and valves. The rubber hose that connects it with the anti-afterburn valve (if equiped) gets hard from age, and can get clogged with carbon too. If the valve gets really dirty it can stick in the open position and cause a huge vacuum leak.....

GD

I currently am sitting proud of 183k on the ticker. and my egr light is on so i guess it would. now whats this trick of reseting the light???? i have no prob smashing a bulb but its kinda nice to have all dash working......

I currently am sitting proud of 183k on the ticker. and my egr light is on so i guess it would. now whats this trick of reseting the light???? i have no prob smashing a bulb but its kinda nice to have all dash working......

Yeah, it'll come on at 180k. Do a search. I asked what to do about mine and it was explained. Basically you take one of the wire connectors off and put it onto the othe (empty one). It resets it for another 60k.