Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Labmobile gl10 build

turbodog

20210122_214922.jpg?width=734&height=347

well, i figure i should just start posting pictures of my wagon build here  hopefully it can keep me motivated :)

photo_2021-02-05_23-36-09.jpg

cleaned up the engine bay,  cv boots are bad, waiting on them with a few other parts
photo_2021-01-05_20-46-59.jpg?width=466&
smoothed out the wastegate to exhaust pipe
photo_2021-01-05_20-47-27.jpg?width=734&
heatwrapped the exhaust and resealed the oil pan
photo_2021-01-05_20-47-36.jpg?width=734&

Edited by turbodog

photo_2021-01-05_20-47-30.jpg

here's the intercooler, going to mount it when the engine gets back in

found a heater core on amazon that was cheep and it will be for cooling the return water coming from the turbo before it gets back into the headphoto_2021-01-05_20-47-23.jpg

photo_2021-01-05_20-47-19.jpg

Edited by turbodog

went to about 5 or 6 auto part stores and bought all the strange shaped coolant hoses i could find  i took calipers and matched them up

photo_2021-01-05_21-22-34.jpg

cleaned the intake manifold photo_2021-01-05_21-22-22.jpg

cleaned the block, and replaced both the horiffiying coolant hoses of death, lol!  new NJK plugs

noticed the thermistor gasket was all decayed and the whole thing was leaking air badly,  that and the motor driving it was missing an o-ring  the wires were also broken and bad, so i soldered new ones and replaced the o-ring

no more leaks now!  

,photo_2021-01-07_03-06-16.jpg  photo_2021-01-07_03-06-23.jpg?width=166&photo_2021-01-07_03-06-26.jpg

looked over the wire harness and cleaned up all the connectors with a couple welding tip cleaners

photo_2021-01-08_18-15-22.jpg    photo_2021-01-08_19-24-19.jpg

photo_2021-01-08_19-24-12.jpgphoto_2021-01-08_19-24-23.jpg

photo_2021-01-08_19-24-29.jpg

adjusted the pins a little bit so they would have a little more clamping force and covered in dielectric greese, did this for every clip

• Like 2

Really? Don’t let GD get you down, just stick with your plan and go for it. 

Everything you’re doing is reversible so if there are some unforeseen issues you can review and return to stock if needed. 

I love the L’s, has mine for 15 years now. Unfortunately I haven’t driven her all of last year due to work needed to be done and no shed to work in. 

1fhRJw.jpg 

Needless to say, she’s highly modified - EJ22, custom gearbox, lift, and other mods for off-roading and living out of the vehicle. 

Deep down if you’re keen on the vehicle you’ll find your motivation ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

22 hours ago, el_freddo said:

Really? Don’t let GD get you down, just stick with your plan and go for it. 

Everything you’re doing is reversible so if there are some unforeseen issues you can review and return to stock if needed. 

I love the L’s, has mine for 15 years now. Unfortunately I haven’t driven her all of last year due to work needed to be done and no shed to work in. 

1fhRJw.jpg 

Needless to say, she’s highly modified - EJ22, custom gearbox, lift, and other mods for off-roading and living out of the vehicle. 

Deep down if you’re keen on the vehicle you’ll find your motivation ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

Gotta keep going Bennie! Have always loved Ruby Scoo, same colour combo (blue with white wheels) as my wagon! I know your feels though, trying to fix a front end shimmy at the moment... hard keeping up with the maintenance at 453,000 kms!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KiwiGL said:

hard keeping up with the maintenance at 453,000 kms!

Yeah mate, I’m at 530,000km from memory. Y pipe rusted out so dad shoved a Gen3 equal length unit on and she sounds like spoob so I’m failing at building a set of UELs for her. Exhaust shops make it look easy! And I have a leak in the front somewhere, dunno if it’s doors or Subi gods forbid, from the windscreen ;( 

Long live the L’s! 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

now what to do with the hood scoop....

photo_2021-01-12_15-26-11.jpg?width=734&

i kinda went ocd with how many fins were damaged and bent so i went over the whole top and bottom and removed the damaged fins and straightened the rest... oof bout 6 hours total,  lol

photo_2021-01-12_15-39-22.jpg?width=734&

Edited by turbodog
  • Like 2

FYI - porting the wastegate like that is going to lower your peak boost without the ability to tune the ECU. To bring it back up you will need a manual boost control since you can't adjust the software on the EA82T to compensate for the greater flow and therefore lower target duty cycle to hit boost target. You only port a wastegate if you experience boost creep and even then only if you can't bring it under control with more timing and more fuel to lower the EGT's. 

The cracks evident in the picture around the wastegate were already contributing to it being lazy. Porting it is going to magnify that by a lot. And no - a manual boost controller is not better than the stock setup. It will pop open and with that tiny turbo you will really want to close it again at higher RPM as the engine overtakes the turbo - which you will not be able to do with a manual. They aren't good for small turbo applications. 

This is what I'm talking about - you have no idea what you are doing or why and it will have unintended consequences which you aren't even aware of yet.

And you call yourself "turbodog". I can't help but see the irony in it. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

1 hour ago, GeneralDisorder said:

FYI - porting the wastegate like that is going to lower your peak boost without the ability to tune the ECU. To bring it back up you will need a manual boost control since you can't adjust the software on the EA82T to compensate for the greater flow and therefore lower target duty cycle to hit boost target. You only port a wastegate if you experience boost creep and even then only if you can't bring it under control with more timing and more fuel to lower the EGT's. 

The cracks evident in the picture around the wastegate were already contributing to it being lazy. Porting it is going to magnify that by a lot. And no - a manual boost controller is not better than the stock setup. It will pop open and with that tiny turbo you will really want to close it again at higher RPM as the engine overtakes the turbo - which you will not be able to do with a manual. They aren't good for small turbo applications. 

This is what I'm talking about - you have no idea what you are doing or why and it will have unintended consequences which you aren't even aware of yet.

And you call yourself "turbodog". I can't help but see the irony in it. 

GD

im okay with lower boost for now while i still sort the car out.    there was a ton of bad air leaks and corroded sensors, it was not treated well by the PO. 

so far all you've done is criticize, though that's helpful in its own way, its still not very nice.  its basically going to be stock parts, good sensors, no leaks, cold air, and heat management.

keeping it light and keeping all the fluids clean, i don't see the problem

• Like 2

I have 40+ years of experience as a certified advanced level Master Tech and I am still employed in the field full time.

I own a 1989 GL10 Turbo wagon (EA82T / 4EAT) in good shape along with a pretty good stash of extra parts. I own 2 other EA wagons as well. One is a lifted 1983 GL wagon with an EJ22, custom built 3.9 full time dual range trans, and a clutch style LSD rear diff. The second one is an AWD 1992 Loyale with an EJ22, EJ 5MT transmission, and a 5 lug conversion. Both cars have 4 wheel disc brakes.

According to some people I must be an idiot too. Do I care what other people think about me, my cars, or what I do? Don't think so. I do what makes ME happy. I still hang out here and enjoy the USMB a lot. In my opinion this is one of the best resources online for older Subarus. I still check in here almost every day but I rarely post here anymore. Some people that post here seem to have moved on from EA Subarus and are down on our old cars for some reason.

People world wide are restoring cars every day that are way harder to get parts for than an old Subaru. I say do what YOU want and what makes YOU happy. Will you make mistakes? Yes. Will you learn from them? Yes, without a doubt. I know I have.

I am following your thread and enjoying it. Please keep it updated :)

Edited by Crazyeights
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

so installing a new ECU, and one of the tasks at hand was to find the 4 injector wires that go from 4 wires, to 2 , and back to 4 (so dumb, lol) had to take the fender off and take the loom apart.. yay.   lucklly i found it,  also found the resistors for the injectors

photo_2021-02-05_14-56-01.jpg

photo_2021-02-05_14-56-22.jpg?width=320&  photo_2021-02-05_14-56-17.jpg?width=320&

• Like 2

• turbodog changed the title to The Labmobile gl10 build