Ultimate Subaru Message Board

keyless fob code model troubleshooting?

Happy New Year USMB

EDIT: Issue must be w/the under-dash wiring. While filling the tank, I pushed the button (for the heck of it) and the REAR hatch locked/unlocked and the lights flashed. The rear hatch was replaced after a break-in a few years back. So, something, something is amiss with keyless controller. No, I don't know why I didn't notice b4, thanks for asking.

Edit#2: Well, it's now working normally for ALL doors. My guess? Is that the actuator was likely just dormant after all these years of non-use? Anyway, I'll take this off the the 'to do (aka Fix) list'. 

I have one of these CODE Alarm fobs. I'd like to get it to work in a '98 Forester. 

- I'm 99% sure the fob worked before and it has a brand-new battery - but I don't see any lights (on the fob) even when I tested with the case open so don't know if it's actually DOA or not.

- I can put the Forester's keyless system into programming mode: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyless.html#code alarm

-  When in programming mode, holding the programming button and pushing the 'Lock' button nothing happens- no door lock cycle occurs to confirm.

-  Any insight on troubleshooting these fobs? Anyone have an extra they want to sell (I'd like to have a spare/test)?

1264119950_codefob.JPG.459daa5d7e8b751df650a1759ceceaf4.JPG

Edited by wtdash

Programming or Overriding the Alarm when you have lost the remote
Open driver's door.
Turn ignition key to 'On'
Press and *hold programming button* in (see diagram, button under dashboard)
After 15 seconds the the door locks will cycle 3 times. Do not release Programming button
Press lock (left) button the remotes to be programmed. The door locks will cycle one time.
Exit programming mode by releasing Programming button under dashboard and turning key to off.

Are you waiting the 15 seconds to get the lock cycle before the rest of the "handshake"?

Are you waiting the 15 seconds to get the lock cycle before the rest of the "handshake"

Thanks...that's what this means:  "I can put the Forester's keyless system into programming mode: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyless.html#code alarm"

And FWIW, I did this on '99 Foz w/the same system last month and it worked (but with a different key fob).

Edited by wtdash