Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1997 Impreza WRX STI runs on 2 cylinders!

Hey, i recently picked up my first Subaru, its a Subaru Impreza WRX STI V-Limited 555 1997. When I picked it up, it had been sitting for almost 2 years. When running, I hear a misfire and it smells of gas. When the engine is running, I can pull the back two coil wires from the coilpack and it has no effect on the engine. When I pull either front ones, the car eventually dies. Is this a common problem? Car has only done 50000km (Japan import). I've changed the coilpack, but the problem is still the same. I also have a code for TPS and O2 sensor if thats relevant.

12 hours ago, el_freddo said:

No ignitor on the DOHC turbos @Rampage - they’re coil on plug. 

Ensure you have the coils plugged in/placed correctly. 

Cheers 

Bennie

1 hour ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

??? if this engine has a coil and PLUG wires, could easily be a bad coil-pack. Due to waste spark ignition design, a bad coil will kill 2 cylinders. 1&2 OR 3&4 .

Thanks for the suggestions guys, going to check the plug wires and spark plugs this weekend. Will update the thread when I've checked them.

30 minutes ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

do you have misfire codes? If you have 2 that are bank specific (P0301 and P0303 for example) you may have a cam sprocket that has slipped it's timing.

I only have the O2 sensor code and the TPS.

14 hours ago, Rampage said:

You said you replaced the coil pack. Is it mounted on top of the intake?

Yes.

9 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

Could be a bad external ignitor. The 97 and 98 turbo engines were wasted spark - they typically have an external ignitor mounted on the firewall.

GD

Could the piece saying Diamond on it be the ignitor?

vlimited2.jpg

That is it. Upper left corner in photo.

The ECU sends signals to it and it controls the coil. There are two power transistors inside of it that act like high speed switches. One transistor controls the front coil in the coil pack (cyl 1 and 2) and the other one controls the rear coil (cyl 3 and 4).

They seldom go bad, but 95% chance it is your problem.

• Like 1

Check out this VIDEO from scannerdanner.com on how to check the coil and Igniter with a test light and volt meter and a scope for input and output pluses. Scroll down the page and look at the drawing of how it is wired.

If there are no pulses into the Igniter on one of the wires, you will have to trace it back to the ECU.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I bought the igniter and the TPS, i got them both in the mail today and tried changing the igniter, still no difference. Any thoughts? Havent changed the TPS yet, but that couldnt be the reason for the misfire, right? Could both the coilpacks I've tried be bad?

Pull the fuel pump fuse so the engine will not run. Start the engine and run it until it dies.

Crank it and check for spark out of the coil front and rear.

If there is no spark on the rear coil, then follow the video I posted and use a test light to check for pulses into the coil pack and input and output at the igniter. Some of the checks require that the test light clip lead be hooked to battery positive and others connected to the negative.

Example: 12 volts is fed into both of the coils in the coil pack on one wire and the igniter will switch a ground to the other end of each coil. Testing those wires plugged into the coil with a test light connected to ground the light will be bright and flicker a little dimmer. If the connector is disconnected from the coil then you move the test light lead to battery positive and then the light will be off and flicker on when there is a pulse.

On 1/20/2021 at 3:11 AM, Rampage said:

Pull the fuel pump fuse so the engine will not run. Start the engine and run it until it dies.

Crank it and check for spark out of the coil front and rear.

If there is no spark on the rear coil, then follow the video I posted and use a test light to check for pulses into the coil pack and input and output at the igniter. Some of the checks require that the test light clip lead be hooked to battery positive and others connected to the negative.

Example: 12 volts is fed into both of the coils in the coil pack on one wire and the igniter will switch a ground to the other end of each coil. Testing those wires plugged into the coil with a test light connected to ground the light will be bright and flicker a little dimmer. If the connector is disconnected from the coil then you move the test light lead to battery positive and then the light will be off and flicker on when there is a pulse.

Doing this on monday when I get my multimeter in the mail, thanks!

Okay, so I checked the timing today and it looks like its skipped a tooth, but only on one side. See picture below. Could this cause the no spark on two cylinders? And can anyone confirm that it is out of timing?

vlimitedtiming.jpg

On 1/23/2021 at 8:44 AM, 1 Lucky Texan said:

does this car have a MAF ? how does it run with the MAF unplugged?

Car came with a brand new MAF which I tried and made no difference from the one that was already on it.

I asked because some cars will revert to 'base' parameters stored in the ECU's memeory if the MAF is unplugged.

The idea was this, if the car runs better on the base map, it kinda points to a sensor or sensor wiring/grounding type of problem.

if not, then it could be something more 'physical' like a burned valve or .....?

GD could explain better.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

I asked because some cars will revert to 'base' parameters stored in the ECU's memeory if the MAF is unplugged.

The idea was this, if the car runs better on the base map, it kinda points to a sensor or sensor wiring/grounding type of problem.

if not, then it could be something more 'physical' like a burned valve or .....?

GD could explain better.

Okay, I dont think I tried running it without the MAF. I don't think it could be a physical fault, because it does not have any spark on two of the cylinders.

17 hours ago, psv said:

Okay, I dont think I tried running it without the MAF. I don't think it could be a physical fault, because it does not have any spark on two of the cylinders.

oh, yeah. Well, if it works like I think, it's easy to try. But, everything now is pointing more to a bad ECU or maybe some odd issue with cam/crank sensor....say, any idea if the engine has had cam or crank sprockets changed? Differences in those from year-to-year can cause problems because the ECU is expecting certain signal 'trains' from cam and crank sprockets. That is, ECU and cam/crank signals must match.