Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2013 subaru legacy starts sometimes then shuts off.

Hello,

I'm new so here it is. I have a 2013 Subaru Legacy 2.5 limited. 237,000 miles. Problem started when I filled up. Car ran rough and I barley got home aprrox. 2 miles. Bad gas, water in it and I wasn't the only one. So drained like 90 % of gas, put in fresh and a bottle of HEET. Car starts sometimes but the shuts off right away. It will start with starter fluid and sounds great. Fuel at fuel rail, pumps primes, good pressure in lines but I can't check actual pressure no shrader valve. No check engine light and no error codes on dash? Even though this is the second new pump I put in, car still won't run.

Checked purge valve it is closed.

Cleaned MAF

Cleaned throttle body, didn't remove it.

Can the Crank Sensor be the cause?

Maybe a vacuum line is off ?

Need some help....I tried an older scanner but I didn't get anywhere with that, it was like from the 90's

Same thing happened to me once with my 68 F100. 3/4 tank of water. I ran it on lighter fluid to get back to the gas station.

Since it starts and runs with starting fluid, the crank sensor is working.

I would get 1 or 2 bottles of the highest percentage of rubbing alcohol you can find like 90% and dump it in the gas tank. Cycle the the pump with the key a bunch of times, then try to start it.

You can try Dry Gas, but I don't think the percentage is that high.

The alcohol will mix with the water and make it somewhat burnable. Of course it depends on how much water is still in the system.

I see the fuel filter is the top part of the fuel pump assembly. The alcohol will displace the water in it and the fuel lines.

battery did die while trying to get her to run, it was old anyway. I replaced it with new battery.

I also pumped out over 90 % of the gas from both sides the main and sending unit side as well.

it runs well if I spray starting fluid into throttle body. Put in first pump and it didn't work. Called got a second one free. Same problem starts sometimes and then shuts off.

I also cycled the gas through the fuel rail into a container after pumping out gas. I also put in a bottle of heet.

Maybe the ECU from running the battery dead. I had to reprogram my FOB so it would work as it stopped as well. I was thinking security but I see nothing on dash board unless I lock the car. Then I see a red car with a key in it. I use to see a red light blink from the top of my dashboard when car was locked and armed not anymore. My key FOB works well, panic button works, locks and unlock, doors and trunk. So yep need all the help. Worst thing is I'm outside of town and it is a bitch to get a ride anywhere. Glad I'm working from home....

Like 1 Lucky Texan said, with a dead battery the computer system has to relearn certain things. The steps to take (battery replacement) should be in the owners manual.

The security system is designed to keep the engine from cranking.

The fuel pump relay is controlled by the ECU, so maybe it is not keeping it running or making the proper air fuel ratio because the relearn process is not complete.

I just found this.

After battery replacement...

Electronic throttle system
Turn the ignition switch to ON, wait for 10 seconds or more, and start the engine.

Engine control system
Let the engine run at idle until it fully warms up (the radiator fan turns 2 times or more) under no electrical load condition.

Edited by Rampage