Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What have you done to your Subaru this week/lately?

yeah, not close enough that they are gonna be making the 'time to pull the plug Doc' type decision when I'm dying, but those relatives didn't need/want the car. Still, best alternative at the moment. Really helps them out more than I thought due to coincidence of hail storm.Still, it may get destroyed by a teen driver......:(

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

22 hours ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

Today I prepped the Outback to gift it to a relative. Wife just got a 2021 Honda CR-V and doesn't want to keep 3 cars. At least I found a relative who wants it (actually, during las t night's storm, BOTH his other cars have broken glass and other major hail damage so, kinda works out) .

Awesome!  Way to give it away!

I need to start looking for some hail damaged Subaru's out your way....

• Haha 1

replaced a damaged fog light.. original one had a nasty stone chip in it that allowed water in.. inside was flaking off pretty bad because of it.

"local" junkyard (hr away) had one listed on car-part.com, so-so picture looked ok... was not off the car when I called, so the guy had no idea what it looked like.. got there and it was even worse than what I had. should never have even been listed :angry:  (I envy all you guys with good pick & pull yards - no such thing here)

back to car-part... called a place in PA that had 2 listed (with better pictures) After chatting with a guy there, and fresh pics sent, i got the light, with shipping, for $32.50 (just for reference, a NOS one is nearly $300, and the local yard wanted $25 for the pos one)

and before anyone asks.. the "hole" has a stick about the diameter of a thumb stuck in it - have no idea how or why it got there - it was there when i got the car, lol. the bumper is otherwise in very good shape for a 19yr old car

left installed.jpg

Edited by heartless

• 2 weeks later...

Just today I replaced the front passenger side transverse link bushing on my 2000 Legacy, which was completely blown (pictured below).  The tech at Les Schwab identified it as the reason my wagon was still pulling to the right after a recent alignment. Putting one of the bolts back was a major pain in the rump roast because I may have partially cross-threaded it on my first attempt to reinstall it, and I ended up having to drive it in the rest of the way using an electric impact wrench. 

In the past 18 months I've replaced my clutch components, the clutch master and slave cylinder, the head gaskets (blown),  half a dozen suspension bushings, two control arms, all four struts, the catalytic converters, the fuel pump and relay, the starter and relay, the spark plugs, and the tires.  Things seem to really to go to crap on a Subie after 20 years.  I like my old Legacy but I won't be buying a Subie older than 12 years in the future, I don't care how cheap it is.  The cost is in the upkeep not the purchase price. 

As a guy who has to do all his repairs on the street, I specifically loathe undercar work.  I have to do my clutch AGAIN this weekend because I burnt out the 18-month-old one driving it hard and overloaded.  That entails screwing some plywood to a 2x6 board so I can compensate for the decline of the street gutter and have a level surface to operate the transmission jack.  Never thought I'd get tired of working on my car.  Hot damn.

IMG_20210517_243326807.jpg

IMG_20210517_243337426.jpg

Good grief that's a lot of work in short order - good job!  Under car is bad - dirt debris lighting reaching tools crawling under/out, a bolt flying away out of reach.  It sounds like the previous owner ignored a lot of preexisting symptoms - noises, pulling/tire wear, struts, leaks, etc.  

On 4/4/2021 at 10:20 AM, jonathan909 said:

Assembled '01 Forester's EJ25.  Because that car's down, my daughter had taken the '99 OBW to work, leaving me to use the '98 Legacy wagon (that's next on the repair list because the exhaust is loud) to go fetch the package from Rock that I needed .  This extra juggling is taking place because my now-daily-driver '01 H6 OBW's brakes recently made a nasty noise and I don't want them getting worse... once it gets its turn in the garage I'll also be replacing the gas tank - when I started driving it last summer it didn't take long to discover that the PO had put a big whompin' dent in the tank, precisely under the float, so the gauge sticks at about 1/3 right up until the car stops (and while it's in there I need to pull the stereo and figure out why the CD isn't working, plus make the key fob locks work).  Thought about the other '01 H6 OBW that'll be getting HGs this summer.  Didn't think about the '95 Legacy wagon.  I think that about covers it...

Had a dent in a Mustang once. Used compressed air and it popped out.