Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82t problems, tick, clunk, and no turbo. thoughts/suggestions/troubleshooting?

ok, I recent got a 87 gl10 turbo sedan, it has about 140k on it (i think) and its an auto (gross I know) anyway, the previus owner said he put 20w-30 in it to "keep down the ticking" which seemed stupid to me, I went ahead and started runnign 10w-40. anyway, I have come into some problems lately and though and was hoping for any thoughts/input any of you all have:

a) seems to leak oil, I guess this is not a huge issue as most sube's tend to leak a bit now and then, it's coming from the passenger side of the motor somewhere (cant pinpoint where)

B) really bad lifter noise, this started BEFORE I added any of the "thinner" oil. I am wondering if the guy I got it from used some seafoam or something. Is the ticking a problem? Is it something I should be concerned about or is it just "noise"?

c) there is a weird clunking noise when going over bumps, it seems to be coming from the front left side, again, I cant exacly pinpoint it, it almost sounds like something is loose but I checked and found nothing up there after a brief inspection. Its more of a "clunk" then it is a rattle (if that makes any sense) I suspect it may be suspension bushings, I have heard they clunk when they wear out...

d) (this is the sucky one) the turbo stopped working, one night it worked, the next morning I woke up and the car seemed sluggish, it took me half a block to realize I didnt hear the familiar whine that I have come to love over the past few months. I took out the spair and couldnt see any aubvius issues, I started it up and couldnt hear any exaust leaks that may cause this, what happened? Is my turbo just firied? For some reason it seems like if a turbo blows it would make a loud noise, or would happen under extreme circumstances, but in this case, it just stopped working.. any thouhgts?

Which oil you use is inconsequential. The engine needs to be resealed, including cam (where it's probably leaking), crank, and oil pump seals. Resealing the oil pump will probably have the greatest effect on the ticking. The ticking doesn't hurt anything, really, but it's a sign that air is getting introduced into the oil galleries.

Clunking while driving: I'd suspect bushings, like you said. I'd also check the strut tower bushings, the rubber piece on top of the strut that attaches to the body.

The first thing I'd check on the turbo is the wastegate. Make sure it isn't stuck open. DO NOT drive around with the hose on the wastegate diaphram detached. Have fun, let us know what happens.

great suggestions guys, I will try to get that done tommorrow and keep you posted. thanks for the suggestions. I think I know way to little about these cars to own one! I am in the market for a little honda/toyata/geo metro to replace it so if anyone is interested in buying this little guy, feel free to PM me!

In the meantime I am going to go find out what a wastegate is so I can check if its stuck or not ....

the wastegate is the thing that makes the 'woosh' noise when you let off the throttle under boost. it has a hose that connects to one end where a valve/diaphram is housed, which pushes on a small arm to expel exhaust gasses around the turbine (hot side of the turbo). if its stuck open, you wont make any boost because the exhaust isnt flowing through the turbine to spool it up.