Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1998 Forester. Rear washer doesn't work. I was sitting in the garage last night with everything else off, and not only can I hear the pump running, but it sounds like I'm hearing it spray out under the car, but I suppose it could be under the carpet under the driver's seat. Anyone know how that's routed? Parts page just shows a couple sections of hose (is it actually rubber hose the whole way, or is it hard tube at some point?) with no reference how that goes on the body.

Check the spare-tire storage location under the rear cargo-area.

On my 2002 Forester, the rear-end of the hose is under the roof-liner, near to the rear-hatch.  Mine leaked near there years ago, but I wasn't immediately aware of the leak. The fluid was running down inside of the rear corner-post, and ended up in the spare-tire well.

Edited by forester2002s

Was rubber hose and couplers for my 98 impreza, no hard lines.  It ran across the roof to the wagon hatch for mine.  Had to take all the trim out to reach every part because genius me thought putting an air hose to one end and blowing it would solve the blockage; only popped out a coupler.  Might as well start chasing the line and taking off trim as you go, sounds like a coupler popped off for yours too.  It's not hard, just time consuming.  Start from rear to front.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I decided to pull the LH taillight access cover from the inside off and see what I could see. Not only does the hose run down there, but there's a connector right there. Disconnected it, pushed the button, and fluid came out....

So it may be leaking before that under pressure, but it's at least connected.

At this rate, I'll have it figured out by next year.

You might be in luck, the clog is at or near the nozzle then.  Unplug the coupler again to prevent pressure from blowing out any couplers in the cabin.  Clear out the clog on the nozzle by backflushing it with pressure air or water.

Actually got some work time this weekend, ran the pump a bit, and it didn't sound like it was pressurizing. So I went for it, held it down for several seconds. Sure enough it started dripping from the headliner trim. Didn't take long to find a break inside the boot between the body and rear gate.

50945673863_fed5ecb873_c.jpg

2021-02-15_08-08-43 by Numbchux, on Flickr

Looked like it was pinched, but I'm not sure how. I pulled a coupler from a parts car, spliced it together, and I have a rear washer again!

• Like 4