Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hello! so, to make a long story short: my dad’s 2000 Subaru Legacy has been sitting for eight years. We’re finally getting it repaired (or hoping to), or at least checked out, but the problem is because it’s in parking, we can’t move it, unless it’s with a special tow truck, and that’s just too expensive, and the space for such truck isn’t there. The regular tow truck guy basically said I need to put it in neutral first, but since the battery is dead and buying a new battery and starting it again in its condition isn’t really the best idea, we don’t know what to do. I’ve been told about the shift lock trick, but haven’t been able to find any sort of shift lock like the one in the pic. Any ideas on how to put it in neutral? Is the shift lock somewhere else?The guy said he could start it without a battery with some type of equipment, but I honestly don’t want anyone to mess with it before taking it to the official Subaru dealership. Thanks and forgive my ignorance!

B24485F0-A6FE-4C4A-9397-F401775AB7CE.jpeg

2F3F8967-595A-47FC-B55A-FA14B4B66B95.jpeg

Block the wheels if needed.

Hook up jumper cables from another car, or use a jump pack, turn the key just to the ON position and push the brake pedal and it should shift it into neutral.

Do not put it back into Park because it will lock again. And you will need the key ON so you can turn the steering wheel.

Or you can remove the shift lock solenoid. It is located under and to the right of the big space on the shifter for P and N.

Also, I think that you will not be able to turn the key and remove it unless the shifter is in park and voltage is applied to the battery.

Edited by Rampage

Yes - timing belt/water pump service would be indicated and you should change the radiator, radiator hoses, and possibly the heater hoses and any other cooling system hoses that look suspect. 

I would do the fuel filter and pull the pump/sending unit and have a look in the tank before startup to ensure you aren't pushing some nasty fuel to the injectors. 

GD

It seems like the first thing that needs to happen here is the car needs to taken out of Park.  The "Shift Lock" button shown in the smaller picture is the right place to be:  with the key in the RUN position with your left hand stick a small screwdriver or something small enough to fit in the hole (I once used a pen), push down a little, no need to push hard or far, and at the same time with your right hand move the shift lever from Park.  You may also have to be pressing the brake pedal with your foot, at the same time. 

Please let us know what works (or doesn't).

Edited by NV Zeno

12 hours ago, NV Zeno said:

It seems like the first thing that needs to happen here is the car needs to taken out of Park.  The "Shift Lock" button shown in the smaller picture is the right place to be:  with the key in the RUN position with your left hand stick a small screwdriver or something small enough to fit in the hole (I once used a pen), push down a little, no need to push hard or far, and at the same time with your right hand move the shift lever from Park.  You may also have to be pressing the brake pedal with your foot, at the same time. 

Please let us know what works (or doesn't).

As per the original post, "haven’t been able to find any sort of shift lock like the one in the pic" :popcorn:

• 7 months later...
On 2/1/2021 at 3:35 PM, legacy2000 said:

hello! so, to make a long story short: my dad’s 2000 Subaru Legacy has been sitting for eight years. We’re finally getting it repaired (or hoping to), or at least checked out, but the problem is because it’s in parking, we can’t move it, unless it’s with a special tow truck, and that’s just too expensive, and the space for such truck isn’t there. The regular tow truck guy basically said I need to put it in neutral first, but since the battery is dead and buying a new battery and starting it again in its condition isn’t really the best idea, we don’t know what to do. I’ve been told about the shift lock trick, but haven’t been able to find any sort of shift lock like the one in the pic. Any ideas on how to put it in neutral? Is the shift lock somewhere else?The guy said he could start it without a battery with some type of equipment, but I honestly don’t want anyone to mess with it before taking it to the official Subaru dealership. Thanks and forgive my ignorance!

B24485F0-A6FE-4C4A-9397-F401775AB7CE.jpeg

2F3F8967-595A-47FC-B55A-FA14B4B66B95.jpeg

I don't know for sure on your car since mine is a 2003, still the same generation so maybe the same. On mine there is a small cover in the top right corner of the shift plate. Just gently pop that off with a flat head screw driver and the  use the screw driver to gently push down on the plastic beneath the cover and your shifter will move.